Salutations for letter writing

gilaherman

15 Oct, 2020 02:12 AM

Good evening,

I've noticed that when sending form letters to my Georgia senators and governors I have to choose a salutation - Ms, Mrs. or Mr. (in addition to Dr., etc) but there is no gender neutral choice. Is this a function of their individual offices? What can we do to change this? My 11 year old would like to start a petition to change this.

Thank you,
Gila Herman

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Oct, 2020 12:32 AM

Hello, and thank you for asking. Thanks also to your 11-year-old for being willing to take action about it.

Yes, you are exactly right: it is something that each one of the elected officials provides to us. We have zero control over what they give us; all we do is make it possible for Daily Kos users to communicate more directly on a given topic. (You or your child may also have noted that the topics offered are also annoyingly limited and inaccurate.)

Since it is so individual, whether there's any chance of success in the short run will depend on the elected official. No reason not to ask, of course, and no reason not to look for other people in your district(s) with similar complaints. If your current elected official is on the ballot this time, it might also be worth seeing what the challenger (if any) has to say about the issue.

Good luck, and thanks for encouraging your 11-year-old to challenge conventions and seek to change the narrative. Just what we need our up and coming generation to do.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 16 Oct, 2020 12:32 AM.

3. Daily Kos Staff re-opened this discussion on 16 Oct, 2020 01:25 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Oct, 2020 01:25 PM

By the way, I noticed in the course of replying to your inquiry that you created an account here at Daily Kos. Thanks for signing up! Our spambots were extra-grumpy, though, so they banned your account. We have manually restored your privileges, so now you should be all set for participating on the site.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac