I think I have a simple fix for the new Front Page that will address most objections

elenacarlena

06 Aug, 2020 01:53 AM

Why not just take that line on the new FP that currently says "Search" all the way across, and replace it with the line that is on all the other pages - starts with the dropdown menu for News on the left, then the dropdown menu for Community, then the dropdown menu for Action, and then finally "Search"?

You can keep the rest of the new FP the same if you like it that way. But revival of the dropdown menus gives everybody access to whichever part of the site they prefer. And it ties the design in with all the other pages, because every diary has those dropdown menus. Old users will immediately find the sections they're seeking, be they elections or rec list or recents; etc., and new users will have the multiple diaries with photos in the new format if they find that more helpful. The dropdowns even already have rollovers. And it's not even new code, you can just copy it from existing pages and replace that one line on the new FP.

I do think you need rollovers throughout, but that's probably more complicated. Also, my new FP shows a giant white space to the right of the main article. Does it look that way to others? It looks like you have a big section where you could put either a few of the trending community stories, a few Prism stories, a few election stories, or whatever you like, just like on the left-hand side at the top you have a few of the staff stories. It looks uneven to have all that white space on one side, plus it's a waste of prime real estate not to have stories there to draw in new users. But maybe it doesn't look the same to everyone.

At any rate, that's a minor point relative to having navigation familiar to old users. I think those standard dropdown menus would be much more useful than a whole line that is just "Search".

1. 1 Posted by elenacarlena on 06 Aug, 2020 07:52 PM

PS: Someone mentioned traffic to me. I think all these changes would increase traffic. The old users will be happier, so that's obvious. More titles "above the fold" give more chances to attract the interest of passing lurkers. And I know if I have a rollover, I am more likely to click on diaries when I know more what they're about, and figure I'm probably typical.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 20 Aug, 2020 06:45 PM

Hello, and thanks for offering a constructive comment. Apologies for such a long delay in getting back to you.

I think I know what you're getting at, but I can't see this being a workable intervention. If I'm following, you'd like to bring back the three drop-downs for the FP. But what we're trying to do with the FP is to make it more transparent to a new user, unfamiliar with all the little goodies lurking under the pull-downs. By offering more content in a "flatter" view, we give people a more complete overview of the site.

I know that there has been some grumbling about the FP becoming less deeply informative, but honestly we are hoping to encourage people to click through rather than hang out on the Front Page and scroll for highlights. The tracking shows that people are engaging more with the actual stories, and nowadays that's more important than ever.

That said, we are still planning to make some tweaks to the new FP layout to address some of the most frequent criticisms users have made. I can't be specific about what or when, but please know this is still definitely a work-in-progress.

Also, we are going to improve some of our documentation to help all users become more easily familiar with some of the nifty features that we have now, will continue, and will be upgrading. So given all of these efforts, I think that we'll still be able to support to a fair extent users' ability to interact with the site as they prefer.

Meanwhile, I hope you know that you can switch back to the old version if you prefer. Click this: https://www.dailykos.com/softlaunch/set_default. Thanks again for your input, and keep letting us know how things go as we continue to tweak the layout.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 20 Aug, 2020 06:45 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac