A few suggestions regarding the new Daily Kos front page

Rob in Vermont

13 Jul, 2020 12:30 PM

I posted a diary yesterday with a few suggestions; below are the salient paragraphs (also, in this comment, I described how I envision the display algorithm could optimize arranging the sections when collapsing/expanding, which would look nifty):

If each section were collapsible — like the sections are on the old design’s sidebar — that would shorten the journey down the page. For example, most of the time I’m not very interested in polls, so I would usually keep the Civiqs section collapsed. I’m sure the site could easily remember which sections I have expanded and collapsed, and restore that layout when I return to the site — thus presenting an experience that is calibrated to each user’s individual tastes.

There’s another way to reduce travel time: use thumbnails throughout instead of big pictures. If Daily Kos is fond of using lots of large pictures — perhaps they help to attract new users? — then perhaps [Switch to thumbnails] could be an option for us longtime users.

Below, I’ve sketched out how these suggestions could make Daily Kos less visually cluttered and more user-friendly. In this example, the user has collapsed all of the sections, except for one. First I show how this might appear on a screen which has room for two columns, and then how it might appear on a mobile device which can handle only one column.

Wide screen example

Wide screen example

Mobile example

Mobile example

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Jul, 2020 02:12 PM

Hello, and thank you for your interesting, well-considered and -illustrated suggestions. We here at Helpdesk don't have authority to make product-related decisions, but we'll certainly pass along your suggestions as well as the link to your post.

We very much appreciate your care for and engagement with the site!

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 13 Jul, 2020 02:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac