Messages/KosMail alert

GlastoSara

01 Jul, 2020 01:01 PM

Currently, if we get an individual KosMail message we get a heads-up symbol when we log in. But if it's a group message we don't. Having had to contact the KosArt Group several times over the past week or so, I found that almost nobody checked for (important!) group messages, so I had to KosMail several individuals (far from the whole group, sadly), and in the end posted (and re-posted twice IIRC) a diary pointing them to the Group messages. So PLEASE, could you guys restore that notifying symbol for group messages as well as individual ones?
Also - would be useful if the Art group diaries could be included under the Community head, as we're quickly developing into a regular ongoing community.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Jul, 2020 02:58 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking.

As far as I know, though, we have never had an alert set to work to notify users of a group Kosmail message. So it would be a new feature, not a fix of an old one gone missing. But let me give you some more context.

We are in the middle of a very long and very painstaking reconstruction of all those old DK4-style pages. We started with Tags. There's more to come, for sure, but because they're so complicated and so interconnected with the DK5-style pages, it's a slow and gradual process. Kosmail is in the mix somewhere too, though I don't know exactly where.

I agree that it would be helpful to have an alert for new group messages. We shall see.

I am not sure I understand your second request. What do you mean, included under the Community head?

Thanks for clarifying that latter point, and thanks for your support of the site.

2. 2 Posted by GlastoSara on 01 Jul, 2020 04:53 PM

Thanks. Re: "Community head" - I meant that currently diaries are listed under Recent / Most Shared / Community Spotlight and/or Trending.
    Several recurring interest group/themes tend to be listed under Community Spotlight, e.g. Daily Bucket, Dawn Chorus, Cat stuff, et al. I assume (perhaps mistakenly?) that this is automatic, and thought perhaps the KosArt group could be one of those groups. Might have misunderstood the process, of course.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Jul, 2020 06:13 PM

Thanks for your explanation.

The stories under the Community Spotlight section of the sidebar are chosen by a site member group informally called the "Rescue Rangers." They review every post and among themselves decide which ones to "rescue" for this featured spot.

I can't speak to their process, but you might want to reach out to them to inquire about it. This is the member list: https://www.dailykos.com/group/rescue/prefs Almost everyone is an Administrator, though I wouldn't message Susan Gardner or elfling for a question like this, since they're no longer involved in the day-to-day operations of the group. You could send a group message and see what you get back.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2020 06:13 PM.

5. GlastoSara re-opened this discussion on 02 Jul, 2020 09:43 PM

6. 4 Posted by GlastoSara on 02 Jul, 2020 09:43 PM

Thanks - will try this (but possibly not until we have our next Art diary ready to go).

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Jul, 2020 09:53 PM

You're welcome.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2020 09:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac