Petitions

John (unverified)

12 May, 2020 09:21 AM

Although I contribute to Daily Kos, I am not a member. I have been able to access all the Daily Kos Recommended articles I receive via e-mail. But for the last 3 days I have been unable to sign any of the petitions. When I select a petition to sign, it takes me to the petition page as before. But then there's no visible tab or any other way to sign. This has only been occurring with Daily Kos related petitions. Is there a change I'm missing? Please help.

Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 12 May, 2020 10:10 PM

Hello, and thanks for raising this issue.

Several users have asked about it in the past couple of days, so there may well be something going on with the pages as we send them. On the other hand, we are still seeing consistent levels of signatures, so that suggests whatever may be going awry is limited to a subset of users.

We'd still like to figure it out, of course, to enable everyone to take part. We have a standard response explaining the two most common causes of petition-loading problems, which you will see below. Could you please see if one of these troubleshooting/diagnostic steps fits your case and if the associated remedy does the trick for you?

If they do not, then you're welcome to return for more troubleshooting. In that case, we'd like to have a few more details about your situation. What is the path you're following to get to a petition page--are you arriving from clicking on a story embed or by following a link in an Daily Kos email? What operating system and browser are you using? And if you could supply a specific link to a petition page that is not loading for you that would be helpful too.

Thanks again for your help with troubleshooting and for your support of the site's mission.

Sometimes the link in the email either fails to load completely -- to a story or to a petition -- and sometimes the link displays badly and will not work.

Two possible causes, two likely solutions.

1) In the case of a link redirecting you to an empty page (except for header/footer) on the site, instead of a petition to sign:
    An add-on or extension is almost certainly preventing the petition from loading properly. Try this to troubleshoot: Login to your email in a private or incognito window, which should disable all extensions. Then go to one of our emails and click on a link to a petition. If the petition loads there, then you know that some sort of extension is the source of the problem. Identifying the exact extension is then a matter of trial and error, starting with any ad blockers.

2) In the case of a different failure, including the display of a long link in place of a story title:
    This problem arises from how your email host and/or your browser handles the underlying information in our links.
    If you look at a link in one of our emails, it is typically displayed the way you expect to see a link: blue and underlined. But the actual URL for the link is contained within a string that allows us to count the clicks and then redirect you back to the site.

If a link doesn’t work for you — either A) it doesn’t display as a story title or as an instruction, in blue, underlined text, or B) it simply fails to redirect as you expect — then the cause is quite likely related to something your email provider or your browser does. Adjusting firewall settings on your browser and/or email provider might be necessary then.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac