Petitions

Ellen Garvey (unverified)

22 Apr, 2020 03:05 PM

I've just received another petition from Daily Kos in my inbox, this one to support NY State health care workers. I agree with every word, but nowhere does the pitch say WHO the petition is directed to. The wind? The sea? The flying spaghetti monster? Surely Daily Kos have a strategy beyond harvesting my address, which it already has, or pitching me for money. We have enough trouble in the world. We don't need to uselessly twirl in circles venting. I get these petitions to no one constantly, and I lose respect for the institutions that send them.
     I would love to see Daily Kos institute guidelines on this: For all petitions, state up front who they are going to.
    Personally, at this point I rarely sign petitions to legislators, though I do tailor letters to them from letter writing campaigns. Petitions to corporations may have some power to persuade, if they are worried about their image, so I do sometimes sign those. What do others do?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Apr, 2020 10:50 PM

Thanks for asking about petition language.

We have no expectation or requirement of anyone to sign or take other action on everything that we send to you. Here is some general information about petitions we hope you find relevant.

There is no secret language in a petition. But it may not be obvious how to display the full text of the petition.

When you see a petition inset into a story on the site, clicking on the "Sign here" or "Start writing" will not redirect you to the page with the full text and background of the petition. To see that information, you must click on the large, orange headline at the top of the headline box. They will almost always start with "Sign if you agree" or "Sign the petition." Clicking on that hyperlinked headline will redirect you to a page with the complete explanation for the petition, its text, and a petition form.

If you are viewing the Campaigns page on Daily Kos, https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns which lists a number of active petitions, a similar system is in place. Each headline there is also a hyperlink, so clicking it will open a new page to show you the full petition.

When you see a petition page, you may find that the text we provide is extremely short and simple. Often that will occur when this petition offers you a way to draft your own message to your elected official(s) on a crucial topic, along with a fast and convenient way to deliver it. The more personal and individual the message the better, so in many regards you will wind up being the sole author of your message. And yes, in those cases, we have identified your representative or senator; if there is an error, please let us know.

Other times, as you may have already noticed, a petition is simply an endorsement of a statement on a particular issue. We leave it up to you to decide, every time, whether a petition meets your standards for signing.

It is also the case that every petition will state (in small print): "By signing this petition you will receive periodic updates on offers and activism opportunities from Daily Kos. You may unsubscribe at any time." Links to our privacy policy and our terms are also provided.

We appreciate your support of the mission of the site in every form you may offer it.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 Apr, 2020 10:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac