New Front Page

elenacarlena

17 Apr, 2020 04:17 AM

Strongly suggest you reconsider that layout. LOTS of wasted white space! For example, what I'd consider the current "top story" is MB's night owls, since it's the biggest headline. But there is nothing beneath it! Just a huge, giant white space. I took a photo at 50% mag so you could see the big blank area, although it changed the size of the subsequent articles. Recommend putting titles of more stories of importance underneath that one. Or put part of his article, like blog views show in DK5. Or both - his first paragraph followed by other important stories.

Overall, it's very confusing to me. You have "see trending" buttons twice and "Comics" under community groups and its own section, which shows only Reuben Bolling and labels him "community" in orange. Will the "Community" groups rotate? I have some suggestions: This Week in the War on Women, which posts every Saturday; Regenerative Culture for an Altered Planet, which posts every Thursday; What's for Dinner, which posts every Saturday; Street Prophets, which posts several times per week; DK Fans of 90 for 90, which posts multiple times per week and is dedicated to electing more Democrats; Covid19 State by State, which posts often if irregularly; and of course the PWB Peeps, Kitchen Table Kibitzing, Top Comments, I could go on and on for regular community groups. You could also make that section bigger, providing more than just four blue boxes. There's also a section called "more news," and I don't know what that is - is it the rec list or the recent list? I note it's mostly staff stories. Criteria for selection into each section would be helpful, so readers know what they want to read. For example, I'm here many hours per day. If there are stories I've missed, I'd rather move on to today's stories unless they've been multiply rec'd or highly shared (I find those two categories most useful).

There are just a few superficial things I am struck with right away. If you would like further graphic design help, I am available for hire, could provide more in-depth analysis.

1. 1 Posted by Puddytat on 17 Apr, 2020 07:47 AM

I can't find anything there. Where's the community diaries where I look first for breaking news? The organization is awful and there's way way too much scrolling needed. And no community spotlight that I could find either.

It looks like a lot of the community posts, which really draw people to the site, are being shoved aside in favor of front pagers. If that's the case, let us know now so we can take our unpaid work someplace else where it will be appreciated.

It needs a whole lot of work. What's wrong with the current site where everything is easily accessible?

2. 2 Posted by elenacarlena on 17 Apr, 2020 07:56 AM

Good point about community posts, Puddy. Why not make the top part half orange and half blue, staff to the left, community to the right?

ec

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 Apr, 2020 12:17 AM

Hello, and thanks to both of you for your input.

The post announcing the beta launch drew a lot of very constructive and helpful comments, and the product team has been working on several substantial revisions of the organization and layout to accommodate people's suggestions. Over the next month, more or less, the adjusted approach will be evident. And, along the way, we're making the changes necessary to avoid glitches like the unexpected white space (probably, in this instance, something that didn't load properly).

We do hear you, in other words, and improvements are coming.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 21 Apr, 2020 12:17 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac