Heeadline Consistency

Rikon Snow

14 Apr, 2020 07:51 PM

I've noticed this increasingly over the last couple of days.

For example, Aysha Qamar has a diary up on the front page and the headline reads "ACLU sues sixth state to ban abortion during coronavirus pandemic"

but if I click on headline itself or the Read More link at the end of the story, the headline changes to " ACLU sues after Arkansas threatens to close sole abortion clinic for operating amid coronavirus."

This is fairly incomprehensible to me from a usability standpoint. Why should the page you arrive at be different that the link that you clicked on? I know this is happening with regular front-pager diaries, I haven't seen it on any user/community diaries.

It's simply confusing and non-intuitive.

I don't what the purpose of mutating headlines is or what you are all hoping to achieve. There's no real reason to reply, I just think that this is not good user interface design and the choice to implement it should be reconsidered.

Thanks for your time and attention.

-- Rikon Snow (Marc W. Davis)

1. 1 Posted by Rikon Snow on 14 Apr, 2020 07:54 PM

I'd also point out -- just to be annoying --that the two headlines differ in terms of content. The first states that "the sixth state has banned abortion" but the second says "it threatened to."

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Apr, 2020 05:27 PM

Thanks for having an eagle eye and noticing our new practice as of Monday.

The innovation is related to the new front page we have in progress. (Have you had a chance to check it out yet? It’s viewable now at https://www.dailykos.com/softlaunch/frontpage)

Our staff implemented a new headline-testing process for front page stories this week. Headline testing, which means showing alternate headlines for different stories, is standard practice on the homepage of many news sites. This process helps us learn how to best engage readers with our headlines, which will be even more important on our new front page. So moving forward, it is possible to see one headline on the front page and a different headline when you click through to the story page. Most headlines will only have minor differences, and we strive to make them all equally accurate.

We do appreciate the feedback you’ve provided about the discrepancy, and we’re taking it into account as we proceed with the tests. Thanks for confirming that any change we make will be quickly noticed by regular and attentive site members like you.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 16 Apr, 2020 05:27 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac