Please edit your petitions

M. Bear (unverified)

25 Mar, 2020 08:19 PM

I am a pro activist and I don’t mind signing petitions that are going to benefit people in this country. But your petitions irritate me,
Because I don’t want to have to take the time to fill in Mr. Mrs. miss, I don’t want to scroll through your list of choices of subjects they should already be filled in they should already be there. I get over 300 emails a day I don’t have time to sit there and scroll through the list of choices that you have. And I admit sometimes I blow off your your petitions just because of that reason alone.
And sometimes the choice isn’t even available I have to pick other so please amend your petitions.
Otherwise I’m going to opt out.

Kind regards,
M. Bear

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 25 Mar, 2020 09:53 PM

Hello, and thanks for reaching out to us with your concern about petitions.

You have probably noticed that we have a few different formats of petitions. Many if not most of them simply require you to sign on. A smaller portion of them have blanks to fill/options to choose.

The petitions in this latter group are connected directly to the inboxes of elected officials. Accordingly, we simply do not have any control whatsoever regarding the fields they offer, the choices they provide, or anything else about the formatting. If we did, there are many elements we'd organize differently. It is true, as you note, that the subject categories often leave a lot to be desired.

If you'd rather not take the time to fuss with these field choices, then there is another option you might consider. The ultimate goal with these campaigns is to put people in touch with their elected representatives about a pressing issue. We provide sample text for the communication, but we also encourage folks to edit and adapt that language to make it more personal.

We would not have the ability to count a message that you send independent of completing the whole petition on our site. But if the choice is between you sending it separately, via an email to your elected official (for example), or not making the contact at all, we'd definitely want you to make use of our petition as a prompt for your own communication.

Hope this helps. Sorry not to be able to offer you another workaround.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 25 Mar, 2020 09:53 PM.

3. Marre Bear re-opened this discussion on 25 Mar, 2020 11:59 PM

4. 2 Posted by Marre Bear (unv... on 25 Mar, 2020 11:59 PM

I wasn’t starting a petition I was messaging you. Please read⬇️

Marre

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Mar, 2020 01:02 AM

I did read what you sent.

You said:
    "Because I don’t want to have to take the time to fill in Mr. Mrs. miss..." and
    "I don’t want to scroll through your list of choices of subjects they should already be filled in..." " We do not control these parts of the petition response. We write the language of a response we would like people to send. But we do NOT get to decide what each legislator wants to receive as part of the response--such as a salutation, the subject line, or any other of the extra stuff that you have to sort through. These forms come to us from the legislators. We do not get to fill in any blank that they provide. That step is for you.

What I gave you is a suggestion for another path you could take to delivering the message we suggest. It's up to you whether you choose that option or not.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 26 Mar, 2020 01:02 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac