Change image upload default to 'align center'

giddy thing

24 Jan, 2020 06:18 PM

Many DKos commentators are not aware of the alignment tool when they insert images in their comments. With the default currently set to 'align right', images are oddly skewed to the far right of the comment space and often displayed at a smaller size. By changing the default to 'align center', images are displayed at a larger size and better resolution, which helps readers see the images more clearly. This would be especially helpful with images displaying tables, figures, data, and any other content that is intended to be read. Thanks for considering this suggestion. Cheers for all you do.

giddy thing

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 24 Jan, 2020 07:39 PM

Yes!! I've tried to tell a few people about that (whose images looked especially skewed because of the defaul set to align right). It would be SOOOO easy for DK's software gurus to fix that... <----Hint to DK!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Jan, 2020 08:09 PM

Thanks for making the suggestion. Likely there was a motivation for making the default what it is, though I don't know it. I'll investigate.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 29 May, 2020 01:38 AM

Any follow-up on this?
    Many, perhaps most, graphics (I'm talking cartoons, memes, etc.) lose some/much of their appeal/message when they're forcibly right-aligned (by default) because being posted like that often causes them to look clumsy.
    I suspect this would be an easy and fast fix because we're only talking the default value. IMNSHO, the default value should be "centered" (it usually makes the graphic a bit larger, too). Even "left-aligned" would be better than "right-aligned" because at least it would line up with new paragraphs.

4. 4 Posted by Eyesbright on 29 May, 2020 07:58 PM

Bump

5. 5 Posted by Eyesbright on 29 May, 2020 11:17 PM

Bump

6. 6 Posted by Eyesbright on 30 May, 2020 07:21 PM

Bump

7. 7 Posted by Eyesbright on 02 Jun, 2020 09:59 PM

Bump

8. 8 Posted by Eyesbright on 04 Jun, 2020 09:02 PM

Bump

9. 9 Posted by Eyesbright on 01 Jul, 2020 12:53 AM

Bump

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Jul, 2020 03:02 PM

Thanks for the bumps.

Apparently there wasn't any major reason for the right-default. I'll pass along the suggestion for making a change to center-default--but I wouldn't expect any quick action on it, if people decide it's worth doing at all. We have a ton of work that's higher priority right now. Sorry not to have more encouraging or definite information for you.

11. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 01 Jul, 2020 03:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac