Daily Kos should publish its press releases in a different place than regular content

Garrett

23 Nov, 2019 12:13 AM

Daily Kos has been publishing its press releases, self publicity, such as this one, on the front page.

I'd guess that when news professionals read Daily Kos, and see press releases mixed in with regular content, rather than segregated out on a separate page, many will see it the same way I do:

Intermixing press releases and regular content is unethical and unprofessional.

I've pulled together some examples of how publications generally handle the matter of publicity for themselves, by putting it on a separate page: Al Jazeera, Associated Press, the Atlantic, BBC, Bloomberg, Boston Globe, BuzzFeed, the Economist, Forbes, the Guardian, Huffington Post, Los Angeles Times, Mashable, New York Magazine, New York Times, NPR, Politico, Reuters, Slate, Tech Crunch, Time, Time Out, USA Today, Washington Post, and Yahoo.

The long list is to try to convey how starkly and noticeably I think Daily Kos goes against industry practice, when it intermixes publicity for itself and regular content.

1. 1 Posted by siab on 23 Nov, 2019 12:47 AM

For what it's worth, I agree.

I'll add that I find it a bit disconcerting to click into a diary and find it written in third-person-publicity-speak, especially when it's an article about what kos said somewhere else that hasn't been reported directly in any manner. They really don't belong on the Front Page, and probably shouldn't have Comment sections.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac