Message notification issue

Otteray Scribe

17 Oct, 2019 04:59 PM

Wondering for some time why notifications from groups do not show up as new messages. I am an Administrator for several groups, and get requests and notices. Because I don't always check messages when there is no notice of new messages, some requests have gone unanswered for days, and in a few instances, weeks. That is a problem. I am trying to be more conscientious about checking messages daily, but that does not solve the problem for others. For example, not everyone checks messages if the message header says, "No New Messages," thus missing time-sensitive notifications.

Not sure why the system is set up this way, but I would like to see it fixed so all new messages are announced as some form of "you have mail."

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 17 Oct, 2019 10:03 PM

I'll second that motion!
    There are numerous issues with the group system - but that one seems like an easy fix that would be of greater benefit than non-group-admins can imagine. It seems like such a no brainer! Ideally, the "new message notification" would only go to the Group's Admins (group Editors are simply not needed on these administrative issues).

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Oct, 2019 01:55 AM

Hello, and thanks for mentioning this little feature.

It's a good time to bring it up because of a number of upgrades we're doing. I don't know whether we can extend the changes to do anything different from what Kosmail already does, but I can ask. I do think, however, that there is a valid concern about people getting overwhelmed with alerts if the group were large. Some are so large that even limiting the alerts to admins would potentially mean a lot of people.

But we'll see.

I'll let you know if it looks like there may be some changes implemented.

Thanks for your long time support of the site.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 18 Oct, 2019 01:55 AM.

4. Otteray Scribe re-opened this discussion on 19 Oct, 2019 05:33 PM

5. 3 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 19 Oct, 2019 05:33 PM

Perhaps adding an opt-out checkbox would work for those who might be swamped with messages. Let the user decide if they want to be notified of all incoming messages, or just the ones addressed specifically to them.

6. 4 Posted by Nova Land on 19 Oct, 2019 06:20 PM

Here's another possibility which would enable people to get notifications about group messages without being overwhelmed by the number of notifications.

At present, one gets notified of every new message in a thread if it's a thread which one gets notifications for. For an active group thread, that could be a lot of notifications. But what about if when one received a notification for a new message in a message thread that automatically shut off the notification alerts for that particular message thread until after one has visited that message thread?

As soon as one visits that message thread, the option goes back on, so any additional new messages will again alert the person they have a new message. But again, as soon as one gets one notification that shuts off the alerts, so one gets only the one alert even if a dozen new messages get added to the thread before one visits it again.

This would let people know when there are message threads with messages waiting to be read -- group messages as well as individual messages. But the number of alerts one receives would be manageable. Even if more than a dozen people have replied to a group message thread since one last read it, one would only receive one notification letting one know there are new messages to be read in that thread.

7. 5 Posted by Besame on 21 Oct, 2019 09:27 PM

I agree with OS on the need for notifications and the opt out option. Only Admins and Editors can use the group kosmail so that limits who receives notifications in the first place (Members do not).

The way it works now is the person who created the group message receives notifications but no one else.

8. Otteray Scribe closed this discussion on 29 Oct, 2019 02:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac