Dark view/Night mode

Seraphiel

22 May, 2019 08:40 PM

If this already exists, I haven't been able to find it.

It would be nice to have an option to render the site in a dark mode (with a black background and white/light grey text). I have this set on most other sites I look at and the rest of the OS. The white screen here can be pretty glaring. Inverted contrast could also make the site more accessible to people with certain vision conditions.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 May, 2019 09:02 PM

Thanks for the request.
    I know that some do that via their browser settings, and apparently you've applied it elsewhere. It's not a possibility I'm well-acquainted with at this point, though I have seen it done on some platforms even for us. Are you saying our site prevents the exercise of that option on your browser? Appreciate the clarification (pun inadvertent).

2. 2 Posted by Seraphiel on 22 May, 2019 09:11 PM

No, I can still do it in the browser. I'm not able to make it persistent; I have to turn it on every time I open a new tab to look at an article. That might be something I can fix in the browser settings though, so that isn't really a huge problem. Even so, it makes it look a little weird, the colors are all inverted.

The other sites I referred to have an option in their user settings to present a dark mode they've designed themselves that doesn't require browser override.

I'll keep trying some plugins and see if I can adjust the style a little more precisely. :)

Edit: there's a global dark mode with Stylish. It still has some strange effects, like blurring around some of the text, but it'll get the job done for now. Thanks. :)

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 May, 2019 09:39 PM

Oh cool, and thanks for explaining.
    I seem to recall that we do have something a little more adaptable in the works, but I could be mistaken about that. Glad you found a feasible solution for now.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 May, 2019 09:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac