Please, please tone down that WWF ad

MidRoadArmadillo

19 Sep, 2018 01:10 PM

Yes, I know it's your site, and I know you need to raise money, and I know you want people to subscribe.

But that ad makes the site all but unusable. Please find a way to tone it down a little.

As an aside I doubt it's generating much goodwill for the WWF, either.

thank you.

1. 1 Posted by Joseph (unverif... on 19 Sep, 2018 01:30 PM

What happened to your site? WWF ad is like somekind of infection that seems to not want to go away. Is this delibrate? Will look for alternative progressive news sites should this contiue, what were you all thinking?

2. 2 Posted by David H Parker ... on 26 Nov, 2018 09:06 PM

I TOLD WWF THAT I WOULDN'T DONATE AGAIN IF THE KEPT FORCING THEMSELVES ON MY SEARCHES !!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by elfling on 26 Nov, 2018 09:37 PM

If you can be specific about the issue you are having that makes the site unusable for you, including the browser you are using, that will be extremely helpful in solving the problem.

Advertising does support the site in part, but we don't want it to be intrusive. The experience we're trying to go for is Happy Fun Elephant Wallpaper from a fellow progressive organization. My apologies that it's fallen short of that for any of you.

4. 4 Posted by Mike (unverifie... on 26 Nov, 2018 09:41 PM

I takes up 75% of the screen. The information stuff is now smashed into the middle 3" of a 14" wide screen

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Nov, 2018 10:05 PM

Sorry that it's so oppressive for you, Mike. What operating system and browser are you using? Specific information like that might help us produce a quick remedy. Thanks.

6. 6 Posted by Mike McGargle (... on 26 Nov, 2018 10:12 PM

Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0

7. 7 Posted by MidRoadArmadill... on 26 Nov, 2018 10:38 PM

Attached is what I see (Chrome, Windows 10) when I navigate to www.dailykos.com.

As you can observe, basically no content. Just the wallpaper, and even more WWF ads at the top of the actual page.

To see the main front page story, I have to scroll down. (Which wouldn't necessarily be obvious to a new visitor to the site.)

As I said in my original message I know you need ad revenue, and I know I could subscribe. But this surely isn't the experience you and the WWF want site visitors to have....

thanks.

8. 8 Posted by Malika (unverif... on 26 Nov, 2018 11:41 PM

I also don't like the WWF ad because I get only a tantalizing glimpse of the Recommended stories next to the article I have selected, before they are completely covered by the big WWF frame that surrounds the story I am reading. I like to browse those recommended stories after I've read the article I've clicked on the the email. Now I can't do that. It's tremendously frustrating.

9. 9 Posted by mj sells (unver... on 27 Nov, 2018 04:59 PM

Please stop having ads take over the entire page. I'm not interested in donating to them. WWF

10. 10 Posted by RavRose on 27 Nov, 2018 05:08 PM

Tres, tres annoying...

11. 11 Posted by scott (unverifi... on 27 Nov, 2018 05:19 PM

I'm on a mac with a fairly recent OS running safari version whatever. That's not the point. The point is I stopped using the page after five frustrating minutes and won't come back until you fix it. And by fix i mean change the paradigm - this isn't a compatibility issue. Right now it's WWF 75% and content 25%. Reverse those and you'll be alright.

12. 12 Posted by MrRumpy 1 on 27 Nov, 2018 05:32 PM

Please STOP this intrusion on the site. It's beyond annoying.
    How successful was this tactic the last time the WWF took over your site?

13. 13 Posted by singe on 27 Nov, 2018 06:17 PM

I too am using Microsoft edge and the WWF ad is very intrusive. Did they pay to have such a dominant presence and if so when is the arrangement over?

14. 14 Posted by Adrienne Larkin... on 27 Nov, 2018 06:27 PM

Using Mac computer(s) updated OS. WWF ad makes the Kos site unusable in Safari. The ad takes over the page. Navigation disappears, the site is literally swallowed up by the ad. I can't imagine this is the result you would like. The Site has become unusable. Their message might be great but they have used up 99% of their goodwill by this incredibly irritating ad campaign.

15. 15 Posted by dimzies on 27 Nov, 2018 07:25 PM

Agreed! I loved seeing the sidebar with all the other articles on the side. The WWF ad is taking up half the page and making it really difficult to read. Hope it doesn't stay this way. I'm on Microsoft and using Google chrome

Thanks!

16. 16 Posted by Suzanne McDonal... on 27 Nov, 2018 07:26 PM

I agree with all the comments in this thread!!!! The huge elephants and WWF ad is highly disturbing!!! Makes me hate the charity and inhibits my ability to read Daily KOS. While here, I would also like to say that I sincerely DISLIKE the added window you now put up when I click on a topic and still have to click again to remove yet ANOTHER ad before I read your story.

17. 17 Posted by lknowles1 on 27 Nov, 2018 09:25 PM

Agree with everyone - the intrusive WWF ad has gotta go. Can't see the sidebar on right and can't find a way to get to it. I understand that you need advertising support, but this ad has taken over your site and changed the way it works for your supporters. Please bring back the sidebar!

18. 18 Posted by Eccaba on 27 Nov, 2018 10:23 PM

I don't see well, and having the WWF thing take over the page makes everything smaller. It is dreadful! Please stop i.

19. 19 Posted by Blue State 68 on 27 Nov, 2018 11:00 PM

yes I am afraid the WWF ad makes the site unusable, I've tried both Safari and Chrome.
    AFAICT this ad is somehow willfully placed to make the site unusable.

20. 20 Posted by Barbara Conrad ... on 28 Nov, 2018 12:35 AM

This WWF ad is beyond obnoxious and annoying. It needs to be deleted.

21. 21 Posted by David H Parker ... on 28 Nov, 2018 02:42 AM

Is there one person looking at all these complaints ?? It's been 3 days and still the same
    old WWF elephants !!! This is like a government agency responding to a tornado---
    oh gee--maybe we should do something---
    No money to Daily Kos or WWF-----

22. 22 Posted by Matthias on 28 Nov, 2018 02:46 AM

The ad also interferes on firefox. The absence of a box to close the video window and get it out of the way of the list of recent posts only adds to the irritation.

23. 23 Posted by lknowles1 on 28 Nov, 2018 03:21 AM

I am simply a supporter of Kos, and filed a complaint abut the WWF
    disruption ­ now I am getting everyone¹s grievances about the WWF ad!! Not
    sure why this is happening

24. 24 Posted by lknowles1 on 28 Nov, 2018 03:23 AM

Hey, if you think your email went to Kos, not sure. I filed a complaint
    earlier about the intrusive WWF ad, and now I am getting emails from angry
    Kos supporters about the WWF ad. Not sure your complaint went where you
    intended it to go

25. 25 Posted by Eyesbright on 28 Nov, 2018 03:59 AM

lknowles1 (and everyone else who doesn't know about this feature):

When you post a question at the Help Desk, you automatically get e-mailed copies of all the "answers" (comments) posted on that thread. The original idea on that was, I believe, that we would all be helping each other (especially us long-timers). It often works out really well.
    With a problem like this one, where so many people are having the same problem, that sort of backfires if you don't know why you're getting copies of all these e-mails.
    You can unsubscribe to all the stuff being posted on this thread (but may miss an answer that might be helpful, etc.) by finding the gray Unsubscribe button at the top right corner of the screen and clicking on that.
    I hope that helps!

26. 26 Posted by Richard Dodson ... on 28 Nov, 2018 04:32 AM

I just can't use this site anymore - it makes me so angry because it's so avoidable. Get this contract over and don't do this again - PLEASE! Thanks.

27. 27 Posted by Celeste Huecker... on 28 Nov, 2018 05:17 AM

Why have you returned to this terrible design? At the very least, you owe us an explanation for returning to a previously rejected design. What about it appeals to you when so many users find it unworkable?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac