An out of date help page

Garrett

06 May, 2018 11:44 PM

There is a Tag Tips page that looks out of date.

None of the three links work properly.

I'd guess not many people ever see the page. I came to it from a Google search, though.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 May, 2018 06:08 PM

Thank you for raising that issue! We'll get in there to clean it up.

Did you have any special questions about tags?

2. 2 Posted by Nova Land on 07 May, 2018 06:54 PM

Since you asked, yes, I do have a question.

On the tag help page it says "Use first and last names for all people." Not just the last name, not just the first name, but both first and last name.

That makes sense to me. Instead of needing to search on Hillary, Clinton, HillaryClinton, and every variation we can imagine such as SecretaryClinton in order to find a diary about Hillary Clinton, it's a lot easier if all diaries about Hillary Clinton are tagged consistently with HillaryClinton.

But I routinely see diaries (including some diaries by Daily Kos Staff) which use one-name tags such as Trump, Mueller, Hillary, Bernie, Cohen, etc.

I know you don't have time to check the tens of thousands of diaries which turn up just for those 5 tags, but if you do check you'll see that in many cases it's not that people have tagged their thread Donald and Trump and Donald Trump -- they've simply tagged it Trump.

Does the rule about using full names no longer apply? If it does, why isn't it routinely followed by Daily Kos Staff people when they post?

I can understand if new members aren't familiar with the principle of using full names and use a one-name tag instead by mistake. But if front-pagers routinely set a good example by using full-name tags and only full-name tags it seems more likely that other users would pick up on that and do the same than if people commonly see one-name tags being used.

3. 3 Posted by aoeu on 08 May, 2018 09:00 PM

The both names rule is still the best way and the most common variation.

With Clinton and Trump there is no way to merge either of them with any particular tag as there are several folks named Clinton and Trump.

I have considered attempting to disparage one name tags by lowercasing them but have not done so.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 May, 2018 02:39 PM

Thanks for the rest of the discussion.
    I can't answer for the FP staff, but I assume the primary motive is expediency. Relatively few writers, even those on staff, have an archivist's mindset.

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 16 May, 2018 02:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac