Keeping comments open and notifying diarist

elenacarlena

26 Apr, 2018 04:00 AM

Please consider keeping comments open forever. Most older diaries won't attract much attention, but for example I just clicked on an article still prominently listed under Labor and I can't even tip the author, https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/4/14/1755956/-This-week-in-the-war-on-workers-Tesla-workers-sue-over-racial-abuse This is not the first time this has happened; I first read rec'd and recent diaries in the right-hand margin, only occasionally making my way to the drop-down menus at the top.

There are also some older diaries I've run across for one reason or another (such as someone mentioning earlier work in a series I just discovered) that have still been very interesting, but I can't do anything other than Kosmail the author, which some newbies may not even know how to do. If someone is interested enough in an old diary of mine that they'd like to engage long after I wrote it, I'd be happy to discover that. So if you do decide to enable comments forever, can you please consider a notification system that would alert the diarist to new comments? In order not to overwhelm an email inbox, it could kick in, say, 24-48 hours or so after the diary posts for any comments from that point forward.

Thank you for considering this! We put too much work into posts to let them fade away if something sparks renewed interest. It seems like these changes would be easy enough to implement.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 27 Apr, 2018 05:40 PM

Hello, and thanks for your comment.

I can tell you outright that this is not going to be considered. Offering an opportunity for commenters to descend upon old posts would be both impractical and imprudent. Think of the need to monitor all your old posts, forever. Even with some sort of notice to you, the OP, the other commenters would not welcome notification of other people reopening a stale discussion. It's just not conducive to good communication.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 27 Apr, 2018 05:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac