make loading of discussion stream optional

cbgpol

11 Aug, 2017 07:02 PM

It takes seconds to load the discussion stream on my 120-gigabaud connection! Why can't I read the item and then optionally access the discussion stream? Why should I be forced to wait seconds to read the item even if I have ZERO interest in the discussion?

1. 1 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 11 Aug, 2017 09:55 PM

Go to your personal page and find the toolbar at the top, above your avatar. There is a link to "Edit Profile." Click that and scroll down to "Comment Preferences." There is a drop-down menu with three options: Expand, Shrink, and Hide.

You may wish to either shrink or hide comments if you have no interest in reading the thread. Choosing 'Hide" will hide the comment thread, and only the story will load.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by cbgpol on 11 Aug, 2017 11:39 PM

I’ve made that change, but the problem persists.

The seconds-long delay still occurs and the comments stream is still attached.

I’ll close the current email and see if any change for next time.

Thanks,

Carl

3. 3 Posted by Otteray Scribe on 11 Aug, 2017 11:42 PM

When you made the changes, did you scroll to the bottom and click "Save?"
    You have to save changes for them to work.

4. 4 Posted by cbgpol on 12 Aug, 2017 03:52 AM

Yes. When there was no effect, I verified that the ‘hide’ option was selected.

I’m hopeful the appropriate effect will be observed on the next email.

Regards,

Carl

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 Aug, 2017 06:25 PM

Thanks for asking.

There's one other option if you prefer not to have the comments load automatically: use the mobile version of the site.

https://m.dailykos.com will load a much lighter, more streamlined version of the site, and you needn't be on a mobile device to access it.

The front page will load by default, but the other two major categories (Recent and Recommended) can be selected via tabs at the top of the page. Then when you click on individual stories, the stories themselves will open and display fully, but it requires a separate step to load any comments at all.

Hope that helps.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 15 Aug, 2017 06:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac