Homegaden is a wholesale copyright violator

la motocycliste

30 Sep, 2019 11:47 PM

I see an ad for Homegaden. Homegaden is an outlet for ChicV, who copies photographs from other websites and claims that they are selling the item in the photo for impossibly low prices. The photographed items are copyrighted, and any buyers get something different from the photograph

1. 1 Posted by la motocycliste on 30 Sep, 2019 11:49 PM

I think Wotoba is another ChicV outlet and at least one photo in the ad currently showing on the DailyKos website was stolen from a small knitwear designer

2. 2 Posted by siab on 01 Oct, 2019 05:03 AM

The only copyrights the Daily Kos community is or can be concerned with are those pertaining to visual and/or textual information within a Diary or comment. Ad content is entirely handled by the ad agencies, and any complaints about advertisers or their practices need to be directed to the placement services that handle them.

3. 3 Posted by la motocycliste on 01 Oct, 2019 02:46 PM

Since I have no idea who the ad agencies are, maybe you can direct me.
    ChicV has been buying ads on Facebook and other sites and stealing
    photos from small knitwear designers. Does DailyKos really want to
    benefit from this scam?

---
    Margie Siegal

4. 4 Posted by siab on 01 Oct, 2019 03:15 PM

Me, neither. Another user here, replying because the Help Desk has been busy lately. Since most placements seem to be done through Google Ads, you might want to start there.

And, since much of the ad content any individual sees is tailored to their own browsing history, you might think about which sites you regularly check that might serve as inadvertent keys for bringing up that particular ad, and checking with them to see what they know about it.

That, by the way, is not a suggestion that they're responsible for the ads, but that they may be targeted, just as you have been. I get ads for online grocery shopping a lot - which means I called my regular company and told them somebody's wasting their ad buys on people who are already repeat customers. YouTube tends to give me Bernie Sanders' campaign ads, probably because my trail leads through Daily Kos.

5. 5 Posted by la motocycliste on 01 Oct, 2019 03:23 PM

Other people have complained to Google Ads and have gotten nowhere. I
    prefer to wait for the Help Desk to respond.

---
    Margie Siegal

6. 6 Posted by Pogoatty on 01 Oct, 2019 07:26 PM

NOTICE: This email and its attachments may contain PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the specific individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged and confidential under state, federal and tribal law. This email is specifically covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510-2521. This email may contain attorney-client privileged information or work product information and is intended only for the use of the individuals named herein. This information may be used or disclosed only in accordance with the law and you may be subject to penalties under the law for improper use or further disclosure of the information in this email and its attachments. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the person named above by reply email and then delete the original email. Thank you.

Dear Sir or Madam,
    I am not sure why you are sending me these emails. If there is a reason, please inform me because I am totally baffled as to why I have been included in these issues.
    If you sent these emails to me in error, please remove me from your emailing list.
    I thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

7. 7 Posted by la motocycliste on 01 Oct, 2019 07:46 PM

I am totally baffled why you RECEIVED this email.

---
    Margie Siegal

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 01 Oct, 2019 08:30 PM

Hi all. Somehow a rather straightforward query wound up getting more complicated, but that side issue has been resolved now.

As to your original question, la motocycliste, siab is basically correct. Our ads are supplied by Google, and as we know Google targets ads according to their own secret algorithms. So, it may well be precisely because you are active in that particular niche of the market that you receive ads that you know enough about to find bothersome.

Our own direct control over the ads is severely limited. But you as a recipient of them have some input that we don't. Google ads typically have a little blue X and triangle in the upper right corner. You can click on that X and then you’ll have the option to explain why you don’t want to see it anymore. Your browser will then work to screen that ad from you, and in some cases (particularly if enough site users have the same reaction) the ad would be reported as inappropriate.

In addition, since your searches on Google will influence what they send you, over time you can retrain the algorithm about your preferences as a consumer.

I am sorry not to have more suggestions to offer; it is distressing to me also to see people/companies exploit all the loopholes in protections of intellectual property, particularly in the virtual marketplace.

Thanks for your question, and thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 01 Oct, 2019 08:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac