MUST-READ-David-Brock-on-Brett-Kavanaugh

Murphoney

29 Sep, 2018 09:43 AM

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/9/28/1799871/-MUST-READ-David...

Top of the Recommended List when I got home from work, after midnight.

How is this re-print NOT plagiarism? No source link, let alone source-authorization for the diarist to re-publish.

Very visible. Very questionable.

1. 1 Posted by Murphoney on 29 Sep, 2018 10:17 AM

addendum:
    before I posted here, I let my observation be known, as a comment:

https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1799871/71508786

To wit:
    "Optimal Idiot :

You didn’t link to source material. You didn’t even have the decency to use the

quote block.

Regardless — unless you are David Brock, beyond copy-and-paste none of this is your work and, despite the small nod to the author in the headline and, let’s say, the sub-header — this is not fair use.

Regardless of what respect you think you gave the author — you have stolen traffic either directly from him or, at least, from the company that compensated him for his work, when you re-printed this in full and without apparent authorization.

Plagiarism, in any form or variety, should not be commended."

2. 2 Posted by Murphoney on 29 Sep, 2018 10:50 AM

I hope DKos still supports authors, supports writers, supports the media.

...I hope.

3. 3 Posted by gizmo59 on 29 Sep, 2018 12:54 PM

In the past, a diary like Optimal Idiot's would have disappeared within an hour. What's it doing at the top of the rec list?

4. 4 Posted by siab on 29 Sep, 2018 10:57 PM

The laws on how a site may handle copyright problems have changed, unfortunately. Admin can't just pull a diary for copyright infringement any more.

Community moderation has a couple of options, none of which is very satisfactory.
    We can do what Murphoney did, and hope enough people see it to drop the diary off the Reclist.
    We can flag the tip jar (if we can find enough people) and drop the user's MOJO to the point where they wake up and listen.
    We can counter-diary and point out the problems with any specific piece of writing - sometimes it works, and sometimes not.
    We can continue to bombard Heaven (the Help Desk) with our complaints. This actually should yield results eventually, since the statement in the RotR against plagiarism still holds. We may not be able to get a piece taken down, but we may achieve BOJO against the user.

Remember that the Help Desk is not going to tell us when, or how, they act on this type of complaint - the user may have already received a warning message on this one, for instance - so we won't know what's happened unless an unexpected BOJO occurs on the second or third round of copyright violation by the user.

5. 5 Posted by Murphoney on 30 Sep, 2018 12:27 AM

I haven't flagged -- I'm slow to flag a recced post, I guess because if I feel strongly enough against something that is on the rec list, i'm probably looking at a pie in mid-flight and I'm late to the party.

I'm firm on my objection -- so, I ask your advice: does the post deserve my flag, for the reasons that I, myself, have laid out?

6. 6 Posted by Murphoney on 30 Sep, 2018 12:37 AM

Published Friday September 28, 2018 · 10:59 PM EDT
    still on the reclist, as of now

7. 7 Posted by siab on 30 Sep, 2018 03:08 AM

I would say that at this point your flag is irrelevant, simply because it will be buried in the mass of comments already there.

I'm just guessing, but I do believe your initial comments, both there and here, have had a positive result. There's half an apology in the original diary, and if it were me, the most I would do would be to Follow the author for a while to see whether the point was made strongly enough.

8. 8 Posted by Murphoney on 30 Sep, 2018 09:20 AM

thanks for the $.02 -- was wondering if I was neglecting a responsibility, there, but definitely thought one flag looked like pissing in the ocean.

if I might have moved the needle by speaking up, I'm stunned, but pleased.

9. 9 Posted by Nova Land on 01 Oct, 2018 03:34 AM

I'm sorry I didn't see that diary in time to uprate your comments, but I do want to thank you for posting them.

Like you and siab, I have a strong dislike of diaries in which people quote large portions (or complete text) of other people's copyrighted work without giving clear credit and without blockquoting to clearly show which words in the diary are their own and which words are someone else's.

10. 10 Posted by Murphoney on 01 Oct, 2018 10:45 AM

Thank you. Your appreciation is truly appreciated.

11. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 16 Oct, 2018 08:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac