Publication of Private Correspondence

HiKa

08 Jun, 2018 06:10 AM

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/6/7/1770239/-I-Found-This-on-My-Door
I refer to the linked diary. It's a warm and fuzzy story getting lots of recs.
I enjoyed the substance of the story, but there's a problem.
Problem is that it publishes an obviously private piece of correspondence and it appears that no effort has been made to obtain the permission of the author of the private correspondence. I believe that this is a copyright infringement, even if one that is unlikely to be litigated.
Worse problem it that the diary makes no attempt to conceal the identity of the author of the private correspondence. Given the nature of the correspondence, this seems to be a serious mistake.
There are multiple commenters asking the diarist to edit out the author's name and street. If not done soon, could admin look at unpublishing the diary until the diarist makes suitable edits?

1. 1 Posted by elenacarlena on 08 Jun, 2018 08:42 AM

I second this request. Not sure if a letter is copyrightable, but certainly name and address should be withheld.

ec

2. 2 Posted by cminus on 08 Jun, 2018 02:21 PM

I third this request. Don't care about the copyright issue, but the name and Street address should be blacked out/XXed (in diary text as well as in the scanned note). And it's a heartwarming story, don't get me wrong - the author was just careless with that detail.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Jun, 2018 04:20 PM

Thank you, everyone, for being vigilant.
    Yes, the author has made changes to the story image and to the body of the story.
    . As for copyright: Yes, the letter-writer presumably has that claim. It's almost immaterial to us, however, because unless we were to hear from that author directly requesting a take-down, we would not be able to intervene ourselves. Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, responsibility for enforcing copyright violations rests entirely with the copyright holders, who must make an explicit request for removal.

We do take those take-down requests seriously. The quickest route by which one would raise such a claim is to send us an email, to dmca AT dailykos DOT com.

We appreciate your support of the site and your interest in safeguarding this person's privacy rights.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 08 Jun, 2018 04:20 PM.

5. HiKa re-opened this discussion on 08 Jun, 2018 04:22 PM

6. 4 Posted by HiKa on 08 Jun, 2018 04:22 PM

Thank you

7. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 08 Jun, 2018 04:33 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac