Not received get text of articles, just headings

Linda Wakely (unverified)

28 Oct, 2020 08:13 PM

Waiting for this issue, not receiving text, only headlines, of articles.
Was hoping this would be fixed before election.
Not the first time I have experienced this problem.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 28 Oct, 2020 08:14 PM

Hello there.

I split this off because I cannot tell from your comment whether your issue has the same cause.

What device are you using--and what operating system and browser?

Once you supply that information, we'll have a better chance to assess what's going on. Thanks for your help with troubleshooting.

2. 2 Posted by samlindaw (unve... on 29 Oct, 2020 03:10 PM

I pad version 9.3.5 (13G36) Model MD531LL/A Safari

Sent from my iPad

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Oct, 2020 10:51 PM

Ah, yes, thank you. That does answer my question.

Unfortunately, right now we do know that there is something amiss for the site relative to iOS 9.3.5. We have ticketed it for investigation, and we will see what we can do. But we're also encouraging users to consider making a device upgrade, since the 9.3.5 version is increasingly out of phase with the newer ones. We don't like technical obsolescence either, but that may be what we're approaching for these older iPads that can't accommodate newer upgrades.

I'm sorry not to have more immediate good news for you. I'll let you know when we do have a more definite answer from the developers about this iOS issue.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 31 Oct, 2020 12:50 AM

Hello again.

Unfortunately, we are no longer planning to support the site's operation on iPads or iPhones that run on iOS older than 10.3.4. As a general rule, we are looking back no more than three versions. (iOS 9.3.5 was introduced in the summer of 2016, just for reference.) Since Apple recently rolled out iOS 14, we can anticipate that the functionality of iOS 10 and even iOS 11 will soon decline as well.

Several reasons underlie our decision. I'll explain them and then describe a workaround that should suffice for the short term, at least.

When Apple stops supporting software, it means that the browser running on those platforms is no longer able to respond to modern coding practices and libraries. They also stop issuing security patches, which creates a small problem for us to support you and a much bigger problem for you to keep your data, privacy, and identity safe. When Apple stops updating an OS, with time there will be known security exploits that will not be patched.

To try to keep supporting these older devices means we incur a great deal of cost in time and resources to test them. Doing so also creates code that does not run as well on newer devices, and is less compatible with people using assistive technology like screen readers. We monitor our traffic so that we're aware of the counts and percentage of traffic from each kind of device or browser. When those numbers become small, we drop explicit testing or bugfixes for them.

We don't like forced obsolescence either. But if Apple, with all their resources, cannot keep supporting this older hardware, it's not surprising that we cannot either. We will do our best to suggest what workarounds we can in the short term, including our RSS feed, but those will only go so far.

We realize that it would be very tough for people to be without Daily Kos given that this momentous Election Day is upon us. Even in non-COVID conditions, it might be difficult to make a device upgrade happen quickly. And now, COVID constraints make it even harder. So at least for the time being we'd like to propose another route for accessing Daily Kos on an older mobile device. You can install an RSS reader if you don't already have one and view Daily Kos content through it. If you need a reader, there are some free or inexpensive ones available in the App Store. When you search for RSS readers, you'll see a large array of them. The information displayed about each will include ratings, features, and iOS compatibility. Once you choose one and install it, then you can fetch Daily Kos content through it.

Thank you for your patience as we reassessed the situation, and as always thank you for your support of the site's mission.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac