Rules for posting pictures and links

lynnekz

05 Sep, 2020 03:30 PM

Hello!

I am thinking of starting a group on Kos for diabetics. I've read what I can find in the Rules but I'm still not clear on what is allowed and not allowed. I would like to include diaries about diabetic friendly products such as zero sugar products. Can I post pictures of the products from the internet so that people will be able to recognize the product when they go shopping (whether that's in a brick and mortar store or online)? I'm thinking of the photos that all websites seem to use when listing the product for sale. Not a personal photo someone took of the product on their counter. Also, there are charts and tables which are huge listing carb counts for food or the glycemic index of foods. Can I include a link to the websites that includes the chart?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 05 Sep, 2020 05:04 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking what images you are allowed to use on Daily Kos.

The simplest answer is that you should not upload or use an image unless you own the image or have a license to use it publicly.

You're always on the most solid ground if you use photos that staff have uploaded to our Image Library as DK Official Images. We have a site subscription to Getty Images that editorial staff can access. Once a particular image is uploaded into our Image Library, community members can use it also.

How to use a DK Official Image from the Image Library:
    Open a diary draft and select 'Click here to open a title image.'
    Select Public Library
    Click inside the Search box to the right for the drop-down menu
    Select Staff Uploaded: Yes and also select Attribution: and type in Getty
    Narrow your search further by selecting Tag and adding a keyword

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

2. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 05 Sep, 2020 05:04 PM.

3. lynnekz re-opened this discussion on 05 Sep, 2020 08:36 PM

4. 2 Posted by lynnekz on 05 Sep, 2020 08:36 PM

So I guess I need to try to take my own pictures of the products.  What about including links to outside websites that contain charts of useful information?  Can I do that?

Thanks!
    LynneIn a message dated 9/5/2020 1:04:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email blocked] writes:

|

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Moderator1 on 05 Sep, 2020 08:54 PM

You may use other website's charts WITH their permission.

6. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 05 Sep, 2020 08:54 PM.

7. lynnekz re-opened this discussion on 05 Sep, 2020 11:54 PM

8. 4 Posted by lynnekz on 05 Sep, 2020 11:54 PM

I don't want to copy the charts into my post because they are quite long (like 10s of pages each).  I just want to include a link pointing people to the other website so they can reference them.  Do I need permission to include the URL for the other website?

In a message dated 9/5/2020 4:55:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email blocked] writes:

|

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Moderator1 on 06 Sep, 2020 12:45 AM

That's perfectly fine!

10. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 06 Sep, 2020 12:45 AM.

11. lynnekz re-opened this discussion on 06 Sep, 2020 12:58 AM

12. 6 Posted by lynnekz on 06 Sep, 2020 12:58 AM

Thank you for your help.
    LynneIn a message dated 9/5/2020 8:45:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email blocked] writes:

|

13. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 06 Sep, 2020 11:42 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac