How does a post make it to the list on the right of the page?

Partofthesolution

31 Aug, 2020 11:43 PM

I posted "Time to Drive Trump Crazy With Taunts and Insults" a.couple days ago and it's received 19 Recommends. I'm wondering why it hasn't shown up on the right with other articles when I see some there with less recommendations? It's a link to an anti Trump video of a song I wrote then illustrated and recorded a rough demo video which mentions that it's available as a book. Do I just not see it because I posted it or is someone making a value judgement about my post? I spent 4 months working on those illustrations and creating a video and I would actually like people to see it and comment!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 01 Sep, 2020 12:42 AM

Hi, Partofthesolution, and thanks for asking how community-created content makes it to the Trending list.

1) “Trending” stories obtain that status via a site algorithm calculating the number of recommends they get and the speed in which they get them, particularly in the first 24 hours. This status has nothing to do at all with staff or official site approval. It's accorded by the users of the site, that is, those who have signed up for Daily Kos accounts and have the ability to read and rate stories. Staff neither approves or endorses these ratings, nor do they oppose or influence them.

2) The Trending tag is placed on diaries that ended up in the top 12 on the Trending List at some point according to the algorithm. This process is recalculated every 15 minutes. Sometimes a story will receive the Trending tag even though it’s actually displayed on the front page list for only one 15-minute cycle.

3) The term (and tag) formerly applied to Trending stories, Recommended, remains on the list of the last 50 stories that acquired it: https://www.dailykos.com/user/recommended/history That list updates when the front page display does, and the list consists of only the one page of stories.

4) You might find it helpful to take a look at this 2015 post by Chris Reeves, “Writing Successfully at Daily Kos.” Notwithstanding all of the site format changes in the past five years, the tips Chris shares are still relevant. He includes some excellent suggestions for improving one’s visibility and (not coincidentally) one’s chances of making the Trending List with any given post.

2. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 01 Sep, 2020 12:42 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac