Did You Folks Purposefully Change the Mobile Version?

AtlantaProg

07 Jul, 2020 05:48 PM

Hello -

The mobile version no longer has the "Daily Kos" logo/link at top, so when navigating, I have to use my browser to refresh to the home page.

Is this a glitch?

Almost seems like a new version - which would be weird since if you were doing a few version for mobile it might need a few features such as search or post buttons, for example.

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by wide eyed lib on 07 Jul, 2020 07:14 PM

Yeah, I was coming here to write this. There used to be more stuff at the top of each page on mobile (I'm specifically on android 7.1.1). The disappearance started happening to me yesterday, and I wondered if it might have something to do with the new solidarity banner.

I generally don't navigate using the browser back button (and I think it's generally still considered bad site design to make people navigate that way) so I'm pretty sure it's a glitch rather than a design choice.

But if it IS a design choice, I'd like to go on record saying I'm not a fan.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Jul, 2020 07:37 PM

Hello, and thank you both for your comments.

I see that wide eyed lib is on Android 7.1.1; what about you, AtlantaProg? And are you both on the "native" browser for your devices?

If it's at all possible for one or both of you to attach a screenshot of what you see now that would be hugely helpful.

We do have some changes afoot on the front page, deployed this afternoon--but they shouldn't have been evident yesterday. Your guess about the banner might be correct.

3. 3 Posted by aPauledInNJ on 07 Jul, 2020 07:47 PM

I also notice that there is no login capability on the new page. I have to go to non-mobile mode to login which is required to submit a comment. This is not good. Also whenever I leave the app, even if I do not close it, I have to reenter my uid and password to log back in. In the past as long as I kept the app open and minimized it kept my credentials.

4. 4 Posted by wide eyed lib on 07 Jul, 2020 07:49 PM

Yes, I'm on the native browser and I've attached a screen shot, although there's not much to see since there's *nothing* above the photo that starts the diary. Thanks!

5. 5 Posted by wide eyed lib on 07 Jul, 2020 07:59 PM

Oh, I meant to add that the main pages (front page list, recommended list and recent list) also look wrong and are missing the Daily Kos logo and the log in/log out ability at the top. They might also be missing other stuff but tbh, I'm not sure what's normally there!

Give me a sec and I'll post a shot of the front page.

6. 6 Posted by wide eyed lib on 07 Jul, 2020 08:16 PM

Screen shot. And yes, this is the top of the page.

7. 7 Posted by AtlantaProg on 07 Jul, 2020 10:08 PM

Hi -

I tried to send these via the helpdesk chat, but it seemed to break..

Hope these help...

Sent from my BlackBerry Smart Device

Sent: July 7, 2020 15:37
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: Did You Folks Purposefully Change the Mobile Version? [Questions #30443]

#ssc142369 pre{width: 92%;margin: 10px 2%;padding: 5px 2%;background: rgb(239, 239, 239);border: 1px solid rgb(214, 214, 214);}#ssc142369 blockquote{margin-left: 0;padding-left: 1em;border-left: 5px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);}

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Hello, and thank you both for your comments.

I see that wide eyed lib is on Android 7.1.1; what about you, AtlantaProg? And are you both on the "native" browser for your devices?

If it's at all possible for one or both of you to attach a screenshot of what you see now that would be hugely helpful.

We do have some changes afoot on the front page, deployed this afternoon--but they shouldn't have been evident yesterday. Your guess about the banner might be correct.

On Tue, Jul 07 at 12:14 PM PDT, wide eyed lib wrote:

Yeah, I was coming here to write this. There used to be more stuff at the top of each page on mobile (I'm specifically on android 7.1.1). The disappearance started happening to me yesterday, and I wondered if it might have something to do with the new solidarity banner.

I generally don't navigate using the browser back button (and I think it's generally still considered bad site design to make people navigate that way) so I'm pretty sure it's a glitch rather than a design choice.

But if it IS a design choice, I'd like to go on record saying I'm not a fan.

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Did You Folks Purposefully Change the Mobile Version?.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://helpdesk.dailykos.com, visit this page

<!--end of _originalContent -->
  8. 8 Posted by AtlantaProg on 07 Jul, 2020 10:52 PM

Hello -

Work around for the missing Log In link on the mobile site.

At bottom of screen, tap Helpdesk link.

On the top right in the orange ribbon is the "LogOn" link.

Took me right to the mobile site, logged in.

HATE Ads, so very happy to discover this method.

Thanks.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 07 Jul, 2020 11:56 PM

Thank you for supplying the screenshots and all the additional information! I'll investigate further tomorrow. Glad you found and described a workaround in the meantime.

10. 10 Posted by tacoman on 08 Jul, 2020 02:27 AM

Since this morning, i am no longer able to access Daily kos from my ipad 2. from my pc is fine, but not the ipad.
    update: can access the site using chrome, but not safari.

11. 11 Posted by sonorelli on 08 Jul, 2020 02:30 AM

On an iPhone Xs Max, iOS 13.5.1, Safari browser: Portrait mode, DK header missing. Landscape mode, header reappears

12. 12 Posted by AtlantaProg on 08 Jul, 2020 03:12 AM

Hello -

I just checked my android device - and YES ! In LANDSCAPE mode, the header with the dailykos log/url and the log-in/ log-out button.

13. 13 Posted by AtlantaProg on 08 Jul, 2020 03:17 AM

Sorry - that was unclear - in Landscape mode - I CAN see the header and login links. Sorry for not being clear in the prior post.

-R

14. 14 Posted by wide eyed lib on 08 Jul, 2020 01:40 PM

If by "landscape mode," you mean turning the phone 90 degrees, I still don't get the header stuff on my phone.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Jul, 2020 06:25 PM

Thanks. All very helpful. Should have more information for you soon--though it might be something requiring a bit of developer time to fix.

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Jul, 2020 07:53 PM

The detail you all supplied was great. I've ticketed the issue and we hope to be able to address it quickly.

17. 17 Posted by wide eyed lib on 10 Jul, 2020 05:23 PM

The front page top info is back for me as part of the new front page design. But individual diaries still have no top info.

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jul, 2020 05:35 PM

Ah, that's interesting. Well, the whole issue has been ticketed. I'll make sure that the bar of info for the story pages is addressed too, there or elsewhere. Thank you for the update.

19. 19 Posted by AtlantaProg on 10 Jul, 2020 06:59 PM

I am still seeing the version with the missing top header, unless I flip my
    phone to landscape orientation.

Also, briefly, yesterday, I was seeing a NEW Mobile version entirely
    different from the Desktop version, but new for Mobile - it seemed to have
    some good features, but "recommended" and "recent" were gone in favor of a
    menu that did not include either of those.

Is there a forum to which I might send my feed back on the site(s)?

Thank you.

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 10 Jul, 2020 11:51 PM

Hi again.

Yes, that's correct, the issue you reported hasn't been fixed yet. Ticketed means that the problem has been written up, but then it enters the workflow with other issues of competing priority. It will probably be a few more days before it gets fully resolved, unfortunately.

As for the different versions, it's possible that you were routed to the new Front Page layout. (If so, I'm a little surprised that it didn't remain the view displayed for you since you saw it once.) This was a changed display that we've begun to route a small percentage of users to as of last Tuesday the 7th. The explanation is here, and the story is still open for replies if you'd like to add to the discussion there. Offering your input as a comment on that story will be the most direct way to offer feedback.

Thanks for the update.

21. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2020 11:51 PM.

22. AtlantaProg re-opened this discussion on 12 Jul, 2020 01:42 AM

23. 21 Posted by AtlantaProg on 12 Jul, 2020 01:42 AM

Hello -

Okay, well sign me up! I'm a great tester subject - if something is broken, I'm typically the poor slob that will find it !

Also, I do have feed back on the new mobile version I had a brief sample of recently:
    2 things: (1) Spacing. Seemed like a lot of wasted space - compress the stories a little - so more show headlines on the users screen - it's just formatting (haha! "Just" says the user, as the developer imagines a heavy blunt object thudding into someone's head! :) ).
    (2) time/date stamp for each story. There is space to add it - I find that information very helpful as I scan through stories...

I'm excited to see these changes. The mobile site has been... dull, so to speak, for sometime. Glad we are growing!

Sign me up for the new sites!?!?

Thanks

24. Support Staff 22 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Jul, 2020 10:00 PM

Hi again.

Thanks for the update.

So, yes, definitely you can switch to the new FP display. The easiest way to do it is to enter this URL: https://www.dailykos.com/softlaunch/set_default?to_new_page=true It'll force your default load to the new version. If for any reason you want to set the default back to the old FP, the URL to enter is https://www.dailykos.com/softlaunch/set_default

I'll make sure to pass along your two observations. But if you want to make a comment on the site with your feedback, you could (for example) make a reply to Jason Libsch, who is our VP of Product and who commented on Rob in Vermont's feedback post today. The link I'm supplying is to one of Jason's comments. Also, I know that Jason is still monitoring the announcement post he put up a week ago tomorrow, which is here. Jason's story will close to comments in a few more days, though, something to keep in mind if you have some additional ideas. There is a lot of discussion in Jason's post, also, so you might spark off of reading what other users have said, too.

25. 23 Posted by pnutb on 14 Jul, 2020 01:15 PM

This website is now too difficult to read on my iPhone. I hope you fix this.

Also, I have an account but still had to do the captcha

26. Support Staff 24 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 14 Jul, 2020 02:49 PM

Hello, pnutb--

If it's just the absence of the top bar of information, then try rotating your phone to landscape view. If it's something else, perhaps there's another adjustment to make. This is your first comment on the thread so I am not sure what is giving you the problem.

27. 25 Posted by wide eyed lib on 16 Jul, 2020 12:38 AM

Yay! Mine is fixed! Thank you, nice Daily Kos IT elves!

28. Support Staff 26 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Jul, 2020 06:50 PM

Yay! Thanks for the update, and you are very welcome.
    Closing this ticket now. If there's another issue, please feel free to open a NEW one.

29. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 16 Jul, 2020 06:50 PM.

30. wide eyed lib re-opened this discussion on 23 Jul, 2020 05:31 PM

31. 27 Posted by wide eyed lib on 23 Jul, 2020 05:31 PM

Problem is sort of back on mobile as of today. Front page has log in/out links and links to front page, recommended and new diaries but is missing Daily Kos logo and individual diary pages are also missing the logo. My android info is further up the thread. Thanks!

32. 28 Posted by wide eyed lib on 23 Jul, 2020 05:33 PM

I reopened this because it already had my version info and it seems like it's probably the same or a related problem, but if you'd prefer that I open a new discussion, I can do that.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac