Help! -- How do I "repost" and/or "republish" a diary to a germane DKos group? - Is this even a function?

Dunvegan

05 Jul, 2020 04:30 PM

I was wondering if anyone here could help me: I’m doing research for a couple of diaries that of topical subject matters that may be of interest to specific DKos "groups."

Is this an actual function on this site that a diarist can perform? Can I as a regular contributing member repost/republish diaries to DKos groups?

Does reposting or re-publishing a diary to a DKos group require that the diary (or the writer) be invited to do so in some way before it can be done?

I can cross-post a diary to a couple of groups I've long been a member of: “Netroots Radio,” "Anonymous Dkos," "Progressive Friends of the Library Newsletter," "The Durban Daily." These groups show up in a drop-down menu in the right-hand column of the composition page for creating a diary. (These also show up on one's user page under the tab for "Groups.")

Can you only post/repost/republish a diary to those DKos groups that of which you are a member?

I've never had luck in successfully reposting or re-publishing a diary to any group, once it's been published. Although it's not for lack of trying when a member in the comments section of my diaries have suggested I do so.

I've worked in computer technology for decades, am moderately tech-savvy, and have administrated websites and forums, but I'm totally flummoxed and cannot decern for the life of me how to perform a repost/re-publication of a diary to a DKos group (and I've been contributing at this site for over 15 years.)

Can anyone assist me?

Specifically, I ask because I'm currently doing research on two diaries, each of which I'd like to repost/republish them to the DKos group(s) that aggregate appropriate diaries with topics that target the subject matter the of the group(s.)

Examples: One of my diaries explores the history of Loving. v. Virginia, miscegenation, apartheid in America, and my experience as a multi-racial child growing up in 1950's America...when I was (as Trevor Noah calls it in his autobiography) "Born A Crime."

I'd like to repost this diary when finished to the DKos group "Black Kos Community," if possible.

The other diary I'm working on addresses a rider recently proposed in the California legislature, which was an add-on to a Covid-19 pandemic relief bill, regarding the use of facial recognition technology

I've worked for 25+ years in cybersecurity and find this rider troubling, in that the facial recognition rider was being floated under the cover story of tracing patients and their contacts. However, the way the bill was written, this technology could also be used by authorities to feed into its algorithm anyone's facial data without that person's consent, as long as there was probable cause to think they committed "criminal activity."

That definition is disconcertingly broad. Assemblyman Ed Chau tried to sell it as a tool that would help fight COVID. Thankfully, concerns about it possibly being used to identify protesters got the bill scrapped.

But there are attempts around the country to slip the use of wide-spread facial recognition technology into law under the radar:

● In Florida, Tampa General Hospital installed thermal-scanning face cameras that can detect fevers, sweating, and discoloration
● In Texas a company wants to put the same cameras not just in hospitals, but in voting locations and grocery stores.

In other words, COVID is being used as a tactic to skirt our present laws regarding privacy in an effort to bring us that much closer to a Big Brother surveillance state.

I’d love to be able to repost/republish this diary to DKos groups concerned with privacy, technology, and

I’ve used the "tag" function in diaries so that they might possibly come to the attention of a reader that clicks on the tags search for a menu of diaries to appeal to their interests.

But, people have from time-to-time commented, "Your should repost this diary to (X DKos group!)" or "Why don't your republish this to (X
Dkos group?)

I've even tried to work with group administrators that have posted in my diary, "We'd like it if you'd republish this diary for our (X DKos group) audience...and failed to make it work.

So...I've done a lot of searches with strings in the Daily Kos Support Knowledge Base, and if there's a step-by-step documentation of how to repost/republish a diary to a group, please do link me to it!

I want to refrain from publishing diaries until I understand how to do this, as it is more efficient to places a diary where readers that have that narrow interest might find it useful, and also it could keep my diaries from cluttering up the more mainstream feeds with diaries that have a narrow appeal.

My appreciation goes out to everyone who's helped to build, maintain and participate this site since I joined back in 2006.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter, and for all that you all do for us all.

Regards,
"Dunvegan"
Leia Amidon CISSP

1. 1 Posted by Dunvegan on 05 Jul, 2020 04:38 PM

(Please some of the copypasta errors in my initial posts.)

I did just want to clarify: I don't have any problem publishing to the specific groups to which I'm a member (like "Netroots Radio, et. al.)

I just cannot publish a diary with a topic that's germane to a group I don't belong to (i.e., Black Kos Community, et. al.)

Again, thank you for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
    "Dunvegan"
    Leia Amidon CISSP

2. 2 Posted by aoeu on 05 Jul, 2020 06:44 PM

Only group editors can add a diary to a group. It has to be that way. Imagine some of the stuff trolls might try.

You might try a private message to relevant groups or to individual group editors.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 05 Jul, 2020 09:32 PM

aoeu is almost right. Any member of a group can add a diary to the group's queue. Only a Group Admin can publish it to the actual group (from the group's queue).

Meanwhile, the key is actually this: you **must** be a member of the group in order for you to republish your diary to that group. That means notifying an Admin for the group that you'd like to be a member (i.e. requesting an invitation to join). Finding who is an Admin for that particular group simply involves clicking on the group name (found in the left column of any diary that's been published in that group and on the profile page of any member, etc.) and then, on that group's page, clicking on Members. The list of members will also show their role (contributor, editor, Admin). You can send a message to the group or to an Admin, asking for an invitation. Your best bet for getting a prompt reply is to pick an Admin who has recently written a diary (it's simply a quick indicator that they're currently active on Daily Kos).

There is one alternative to being a member of each group where you'd like your diary published: you could simply write a message to an Admin for each of those groups, asking them to republish your diary to their group, and include the link to the diary.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 06 Jul, 2020 03:09 PM

Hello, and thanks for your inquiry.

Yes, the Groups system is a bit arcane, I agree. We have some dispersed resources but nothing in one central place explaining the whole process. It's a gap we should remedy, no question about it.

The replies you got from aoeu and Eyesbright are on the right track, but neither one is completely correct. I'm attaching a screenshot of the little popup display of group roles and what each level can do, using a group for which you are an Admin. The URL for the page is displayed in the screenshot, so you can apply the format to any group to obtain similar information about group membership.

Stories get onto the blogs of groups through two different routes. One route is available to any post published on the site via the "Add to Blog" link that you'll see in the left sidebar of any story. Clicking on that link will open a display of a pull-down list with all the groups to which you belong. For any groups in which you are an Editor or an Admin, you'll be able to choose to publish to blog directly; if you're only a Member/Contributor, you'll only be able to put it into the group's queue.

The other route is available for stories pre-publication only. To publish a story "for" a group it must be published from out of the group's own queue. The special process of posting a story first through a group's queue means that the story's byline will carry the "for X group" designation. All members of a group can choose to put a story into the group's queue prior to publication. This option is available via the story draft window for all who belong to a group. Only group Admins and Editors have queue access, however, and only they can decide to publish it from the queue. The net result for a story published this way is similar in one sense, in that it will appear on the group's blog. But it's different in that the story published "for" a group will also carry the group name as part of the caption.

The story's author doesn't lose complete control over the story, but it's important to note that once a story draft is in a group's queue the editors/admins for the group can edit the story and save their edits to write over the author's draft. If the group editors/admins decide against publishing it from the group queue, the story author can still choose to publish it. But in that case it would be like any other story posted on the site. it won't carry the special caption, though it could be republished to the group blog if a group editor or admin wanted to do it.

I'm not entirely sure I've answered your questions about the process specifically enough with this overview of the process, so if you have additional points of puzzlement please feel free to return.

Thanks for your kind words about site management and for your long-time support of and participation at Daily Kos. Last but decidedly not least, thanks for your post of July 1, which is quite impressive albeit deeply distressing.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac