Why do diary titles change between the Front Page and when the article is clicked on?

dewtx

22 May, 2020 09:57 PM

I just made the below comment to the latest diary by Mark Sumner. Is this a bug, or a new feature, or something related to my using an older iPad Mini? Thanks:

Mark, I have a technical question. On the Front Page your title reads “Trump claims right to overrule states, declares church services ‘essential’ no matter how deadly”. Yet when I click on the title to read the entire article, the title changes to “Donald Trump declares church services ‘essential’ and stomps away without taking questions”.

Now both titles are very good, but why do they change? I know “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds ...” (Emerson), but is this a DKos bug, or a new feature, two titles for the price of one? Or is it something related to the fact that I am using an older iPad Mini to view, and comment on, this site. Curious minds…and all that about this oddity.

1. 1 Posted by dewtx on 22 May, 2020 10:04 PM

I went back to the Front Page which refreshed itself with a new diary at the top. But now the Front Page of Mark’s diary title has changed to now match the title when I click on it to view in full. But I swear they were different titles several minutes ago when Mark’s diary was at the top. It’s probably minor, but still very peculiar. And it’s not eyes, the titles were indeed different until just now.

2. 2 Posted by dewtx on 22 May, 2020 10:05 PM

And it’s not “my” eyes...

3. 3 Posted by dewtx on 22 May, 2020 10:26 PM

Or was Mark updating the title right when I was reading it and there was some time lag in the updating between the Front Page and the Article page? It’s still curious.

4. 4 Posted by Eyesbright on 22 May, 2020 10:37 PM

You're not the only one who's noticed that. Two days ago, someone else asked about it and got an answer:
    https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/discussions/questions/30346-titles

5. 5 Posted by dewtx on 22 May, 2020 11:33 PM

Thank you Eyesbright for that info. So it may in fact be two titles for the price of one. Isn’t technology grand...and frustrating, at times.

6. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 23 May, 2020 11:29 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac