What can you embed?

40ford

29 Apr, 2020 05:48 PM

I was unable to access a help article on "What can you Embed?" It asked for a username and a password. I entered my username and password. My entries disappeared. I did this a number of times with the same results.

The article is here: https://www.dailykosbeta.com/stories/2015/10/22/1393698/-What-Can-You-Embed

I would like to know what I can embed and not.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Apr, 2020 07:07 PM

Oh, you are quite right! Thank you for alerting us to that issue.
    I'll be back shortly with more specifics. The dailykosbeta site is not accessible in the way that it used to be. Very sorry for the inconvenience and misleading information.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Apr, 2020 07:27 PM

Hello again.
    The embeds we currently support are limited to the list below. Please keep in mind that specific browser settings and extensions can and do interfere with the proper display and functioning of embeds, especially privacy blockers. We see that most often for tweets.
    In addition, embeds do not display in comments on the mobile site (m.dailykos.com); a link to the original source will be shown instead.
    If you have a specific instance of an embed from a source on this list that is not working, please feel free to return.

• Twitter
    • Facebook videos
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    • Mtvnservices
    • Libsyn
    • Flickr
    • Soundcloud
    • Storify
    • Scribd
    • Google document
    • Google spreadsheet
    • Google presentation
  3. 3 Posted by 40ford on 29 Apr, 2020 10:00 PM

Thank you for the list of things that can be embedded. I still have to
    figure out how and why to do that.

4. 4 Posted by 40ford on 29 Apr, 2020 10:01 PM

Great! It's not just me. Have any idea when it will be fixed so I can see
    how that is done?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Apr, 2020 10:38 PM

You're welcome.

It's pretty easy to embed the material from these other sources. Most of them (though I won't swear to all of them off the top of my head) provide an embed code for each item hosted on the platform to facilitate sharing on other sites. You may have to look around on the source to look for such a code, but it's usually provided under "share" as a specific option. Google docs/sheets/slides will embed if you copy the URL of the file. Take care that you set it to VIEW mode, however.

Once you find the embed code, simply copy and paste it into a comment or story draft. If you have the correct string and the site and browser are behaving as they should, then it will display immediately. There are a few quirks here and there -- and oops, I realize I need to add Instagram to our list, though that is an especially fussy embed -- but the process will either work for you or it won't.

It is also true that at least some, and maybe most, platforms are designed so that copying the actual URL for the source item will work just as well as the embed code. YouTube videos do work like that, as you can test yourself. Just paste in the URL for a YouTube video and compare it to pasting in the embed code for that same video, and you'll see.

I hesitate to make that a blanket statement (about all URLs working just as well) because there may be an exception that I am forgetting. If you have a specific question, please feel free to ask!

There's one more detail you might want to know. When you paste the embedded material into a story draft or comment, you have some ability to reposition it without needing to delete it entirely. Click on the embed so it gets a blue overlay. You'll also see a positioning box appear on the upper left corner. You can drag that box and move the embed up and down though not side to side.

Embedded images will load by default to be right-justified, and the sizing is standardized to a great extent. You can choose to move it to left-justified or centered by clicking it so that it's blue and then choosing the desired alignment icon from the editor toolbox at the top of the comment box or story draft. Left and right-justified images will be the same size. Centered images will be larger.

You can do a lot with the basic information I've supplied here. We'll have some folks double-check that other source and then we can let you know when it (or something equivalent) is available.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by 40ford on 30 Apr, 2020 04:08 PM

Thank you for taking the time to explain how one goes about embedding. I
    am new to that, but want to know how to use it for my Diaries.

Thom

7. 7 Posted by Ur Regular on 07 May, 2020 06:33 PM

I'm glad I found this thread, and that it is not ancient, like the more easy-to-find threads about embedding on Daily Kos.
    I could not help but notice that an Act Blue fundraising page will not embed in a diary, or is not allowed, or maybe its just my diary or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. I'm pretty sure they used to be allowed. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,

Ur

8. 8 Posted by 40ford on 07 May, 2020 08:57 PM

At this time, I have no idea. I enquired because I knew nothing about
    embed. I barely knew what they were.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac