Helping the USPS

Onomastic

13 Apr, 2020 03:54 PM

Good morning, wonderful ones.
Hope you all had a good weekend and are safe and well.

A fellow kossack posted this question in my diary yesterday. I wanted to share it with you as the USPS will need our on going support until we have Democratic control of the White House and Senate The postal service is crucial to our being able to do so.

Bassmastor
Apr 12, 2020 at 05:00:27 PM

Onomastic, forgive me if someone else made this comment, but is there a way to turn this into a trackable campaign whether through DailyKos or something else? Similar to how we track donations to candidates with the thermometer thing? It could either by pledges to buy stamps or (I don't know how we would do it) something through ActBlue? I just think seeking the number grow might help thing gain even more momentum, no?"

Has there been any discussion about this kind of thing at the office? Is this something we can do, should do, or is it not possible?

Deeply appreciate your thoughts on this.

All my best always.

Ono

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 13 Apr, 2020 09:35 PM

Hello, and thanks for asking the question.

I can see the appeal in wanting to know how well we're doing with our latest citizen-led initiative to come to the defense of our country. But I am confident in saying that we can't track actual purchases of this nature via ActBlue. That fiduciary agent is not one that could legitimately create an interface with the USPS.

The best we could do, probably, would be to have some sort of self-reported tally--but who would log it? Without the automated tracking that ActBlue can provide by way of a thermometer, I don't think we'd have a mechanism through which we could keep a running total of purchases to date. It would be, at best, an anecdotal report of what Daily Kos readers/users happened to say (and no way to verify those numbers, either).

We do, however, now have a letter campaign live on the site. It just went up this afternoon, and no doubt its circulation will grow. Through the petition, we can count signatures as well as the targeted representatives (all of whom need to hear from us). The effort to defend the USPS is yet another fast-moving story in a sea of fast-moving events, but this one seems to have really struck a nerve. A petition campaign like this one is totally in our wheelhouse and I think it'll spread quickly.

Thanks so much for jumping on this issue. We appreciate your support of the site's mission!

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 13 Apr, 2020 09:35 PM.

3. Onomastic re-opened this discussion on 14 Apr, 2020 02:41 AM

4. 2 Posted by Onomastic on 14 Apr, 2020 02:41 AM

Appreciate you taking the time to answer and that the site is supporting saving the USPS in multiple ways, including the petition and letter writing campaign.
    We must win this fight to keep the USPS going, otherwise the November election is utterly at risk.

Thank you so much for all that you do
    Ono

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 Apr, 2020 08:54 PM

You're quite welcome. Thank you as well for your own activism and advocacy. Take good care.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2020 08:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac