Comment (not mine) hidden for no apparent reason

ThePhlebob

06 Apr, 2020 03:33 PM

Can you tell me why this bland one-word comment would have been flagged by enough people to hide it?

https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1934693/76935267#comment_76935267

I have seen suspicious hiding of many seemingly legal comments, making me wonder if there isn't a sock-puppet out there taking vigilante justice on those he or she doesn't like. This is absolutely the most egregious such hide I've seen.

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 06 Apr, 2020 06:51 PM

Spambots.
    It's actually easy to verify that the BOJO is via the spambots.
    There are two spambots: despaminate3000 and scoop
    Use the search function to bring up the profile of either of them (I always use despaminate3000).
    Click on "comments" and then "comment ratings"
    Because the spambots are obviously programmed to only issue flags - and a flag from a spambot seems to carry far more weight than a flag from a human user - a rating from a spambot is a sure BOJO.

I've seen cases where the community was sure that the spambot BOJO was undeserved and rec'd the comment in an attempt to override the spambot's flag. It doesn't work. Of course, the Help Desk/Admin can override it and has often done exactly that, usually after being notified at the Help Desk that the spambots are being "overly zealous" (Elfling's description of what the spambots often do).
    EDIT/additional explanation: as far as I know, the **ONLY** way a spambot BOJO can be reversed/overridden is manual intervention by Admin. I didn't make that clear.

A couple of years ago, the spambots were far, FAR worse than they are now and there were many dozens of false BOJOs over a period of months. It seems that occasionally someone on DK staff tweaks the spambot algorithm (for whatever reason) and the false BOJOs start anew.
    Here's the search result that shows this new user being "rated" by spambot despaminate3000:
    https://www.dailykos.com/user/despaminate3000/ratings

2. 2 Posted by ThePhlebob on 06 Apr, 2020 07:02 PM

Thank you. I wondered if it might not be that, but I didn't realize the 'bots would also hide the post. Very informative.

3. ThePhlebob closed this discussion on 06 Apr, 2020 07:02 PM.

4. ThePhlebob re-opened this discussion on 06 Apr, 2020 07:31 PM

5. 3 Posted by ThePhlebob on 06 Apr, 2020 07:31 PM

Just got around to looking at the rating list you supplied and noticed that it may be possible for the community to override a spam-ban. Check out the fifth entry in the listing. It got twelve Recs and is no longer hidden.

That or admin resurrected it due to community activity.

6. 4 Posted by Eyesbright on 06 Apr, 2020 08:01 PM

Admin can always override a spambot BOJO.
    In fact, as far as I know (but didn't make clear in my first comment), that's *the only way* a false BOJO from a spambot can be over-ridden. It's almost always a matter of someone reporting it to the Help Desk.

I should add, too, that it's always barely possible that the spambots detected that the comment originated from an IP address that's become notorious for spammers or even zombies. My understanding is that does happen occasionally.

7. 5 Posted by ThePhlebob on 07 Apr, 2020 12:03 AM

Thanks.

8. ThePhlebob closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2020 12:03 AM.

9. Eyesbright re-opened this discussion on 07 Apr, 2020 09:16 PM

10. 6 Posted by Eyesbright on 07 Apr, 2020 09:16 PM

ThePhlebob,
    While glancing at this just now I realized that I didn't make it clear that I'm NOT the Help Desk. I'm simply a long time user (c. 2004). Lots of us help when we can.
    Gotta make sure that's part of the record. :-)

11. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2020 09:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac