Change Blog Display name

tracym357

25 Mar, 2020 03:17 AM

I am the Communications Director for a Political Candidate. She wants the Campaign to have a Blog on here. I didn't realize putting user ID for me would end up being the Blogs display name. There seem to be a lot of bugs on this site. And I would not have expected that being this is the 2nd ranking liberal blog sites out of 100. And if I want to delete my account and start over, I can't do that either. I'm tempted to tell them to switch sites and or just use our own website, 90for90.org links to this site as well.

Please help. I wrote before and have gotten no response. Thank you.
Tracy Masters
[email blocked]

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 25 Mar, 2020 06:08 PM

Hello, and thanks for raising your questions here.

I’m not seeing a previous inquiry from you under this email. Did you use another email account to open a ticket here? In any case, apologies if that one was overlooked.

You have a couple of questions bundled into this one, so let me untangle them to answer them in turn. This will be a long reply in order to provide all the details fully.

First, yes, we do welcome participation on Daily Kos by political candidates and campaigns. It would probably be helpful for you to visit this resource from our Knowledge Base which provides links to the two most important guidelines for all site users.

One of those guidelines is our Rules of the Road. To save you some time, I’ll paste in two key rules, DO NOT 22 & 23, that will apply to you as a comms director.

[DO NOT] Create multiple identities (“sockpuppets,” or “zombies” if you have been banned). Only one account is allowed per person. There are exceptions, but they must be approved by moderators. Use Help Desk for any such requests.

[DO NOT] Pretend to be an Ordinary Voter if you Work for a Campaign. Registered Daily Kos users working in paid campaign positions (or unpaid positions of authority) for candidates or ballot issues must disclose their affiliation when it is relevant to the conversation. Such identification should appear in each diary posted by the paid individual and on the individual’s profile page. Persons in such positions who are caught posting on the site without identifying their role will be banned and, in an exception to the no-outing rule, we will expose their real names publicly.

I do see that you’ve included the campaign information on your profile, which is great. But it’s not included as a note on either one of the posts that you’ve made, so that is something to address if you choose to post again. A simple note that ends each post, something like I am the Communications Manager for Dolores Guzman, running for Florida State Representative in HD27. would be enough. You could put it in italics so that it would stand out.

The bigger question for you, though, is how to make it clear that you have a presence for the campaign, and that you regularly are speaking for the campaign. Under the site rules, you may abandon this user account permanently and create one that is strictly devoted to Ms. Guzman’s campaign promotion. You can call that account Dolores for FL House 27 if you like, or something similar. That depends on your candidate’s preference and the availability of names here. But if you do that, the same rules 22 & 23 as provided above will still apply.

Since you were apparently startled by the practice here of associating your username with every story and comment you post, let me also link you to this resource that explains the site basics. It’s not a bug that this is what happens; it’s a feature, so people can tell who the author is of any story or comment.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask them here.

Good luck to your candidate!

2. 2 Posted by tracym357 on 26 Mar, 2020 01:25 AM

Thank you so much for your response. You gave me a lot of great
    information. I really appreciate that.

I've used wordpress in the past, for my own personal blogs but Dolores
    spoke with William F. Reid Jr. from 90for90.org where she is now listed as
    one of the Democratic Candidates in Fl. Are you familiar with them? I guess
    I may need to write them back too and see if they can link our blog with
    them because they do include DailyKos in their menu.

Anyhow, I'm trying to set this up and run if for Dolores, although all of
    us on the team are supposed to be providing content. Not having done this
    specifically for a Campaign other than on the Campaign website, blog
    section, I'm unsure of it all. So any help is very welcome.

I did name the page Dolores for 27 because it is our campaign name that we
    use on all social media usernames and domain name. But putting Florida &
    other information, I'm sure would be more helpful.

Thankyou again.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 08 Apr, 2020 03:40 PM

Hello, and thanks for your reply from a couple of weeks back.

I'm not entirely sure where you stand right now. Are you still planning to post on behalf of Dolores' campaign?

I ask in part because it is still true that whenever you do, it's required by the rules of the site for you to include a note within every post relevant to her candidacy to declare your connection with the campaign. Please keep this rule in mind. It avoids a lot of possible unpleasantness.

Thanks. Hope y'all are doing OK in Florida. Scary times all around and a very hard time to be a candidate.

4. 4 Posted by tracym357 on 08 Apr, 2020 03:55 PM

Hello,
    No I’d like to delete the account all together. Our Campaign manager
    started a different Daily Kos blog under [email blocked] and is
    posting as her with her permission. We got our signals crossed and both of
    us started a blog. But we do not want to have 2 blogs for the same
    candidate.

Volusia County does not have as many cases as nearby Orange or Broward and
    Miami Dade counties, but have family and friends in those areas. It is
    definitely scary and difficult, the only thing candidates can do right now
    is continue to demonstrate leadership, reach out in any way they can and
    offer whatever help they can.

Thankyou and hope you all are well too.

Tracy Masters

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 Apr, 2020 09:18 PM

Thank you for the follow-up.

We are aware of the new campaign account, so we'll make sure they're oriented to site guidelines for campaigns and candidates.

As for your own account, we don't delete usernames or their posting history on the site. It's up to you whether you choose to continue to post here about the campaign or anything else. Transparency about campaign/candidate affiliation is key, though, because that way other site readers understand where you're coming from with your posts.

Yes, you are right: candidates (and campaigns) are faced with unprecedented challenges now, and all they can do is model and call for the most prudent and safe behavior. Good luck to you and yours wherever they are.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2020 09:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac