sharing Daily KOS articles to Facebook

Kathy Worthington Omaits (unverified)

16 Mar, 2020 05:16 PM

Not able to share. Has the blue F in a circle (facebook) but when I press (click) the button nothing happens, does not go to facebook.

1. 1 Posted by cherden on 17 Mar, 2020 12:35 AM

I'm having the same problem. Love some of the articles, would love to share with my friends. How do you get an article to transfer to your own facebook timeline?

2. 2 Posted by Eyesbright on 17 Mar, 2020 01:10 AM

The FB button hasn't worked for many months.
    Your best bet is to simply copy the link to the article and post that on FB.
    That works really well - I do it fairly often.

Here's a copy of what I wrote about this in October:

Disclaimer: I'm not the Help Desk, just a long-time user. Lots of us try to help when we can. That said ...

If you're trying to use the Share button on DK, I can tell you that it hasn't worked properly for months. Numerous people have asked about it over that time and I have the impression that it's either not going to be fixed or is so low on the priority list that it's almost nonexistent.

Here's the thing:
    I share Daily Kos articles fairly often, most often on Facebook, and it's easy to do. While you're actually in the article (where you'd be able to post comments, etc.), simply copy the address of the article from the address bar at the top left of the page (it will begin with https).
    Then go to Facebook (or the body of an e-mail, etc.) and paste in that address (also called the link or the URL). With Facebook, after you're pasted that in and hit Enter, you'll also see a preview of the article (that's usually the lead-in graphic and the first sentence or two). That draws people in to read it.
    Once you've done that copy-and-paste a time or two, you'll never even hesitate about using it to share an article and you'll never again be dependent on a Share button.
    Try it - you'll like it!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Mar, 2020 04:12 PM

Thanks for asking the question. Eyesbright gives you a reasonable workaround. But the explanation offered is NOT correct. Please read below for the actual explanation.

The short answer is that the Facebook share button does work just fine. But some users have browser settings that break the feature. I'll explain the most common causes of the problem and offer some suggestions for addressing them.

Some browser extensions (sometimes called add-ons or plug-ins) that are designed to protect users' internet privacy fulfill this task by blocking requests to tracking 3rd party services. We see it most commonly when people have difficulty sharing stories to Facebook. "Disconnect" is one example of this kind of extension (sometimes also called an add-on or plug-in), but there is a whole class of them.

In addition, some browsers--notably Firefox--have been stepping up their default privacy settings. The most strict setting has similar effects, and Daily Kos is only one of the many websites whose features will not function as designed. If you are using Firefox yourself, it will be worth your while to learn about the new levels they provide, so that you can choose which one best meets your needs.

If you have an extension on your browser that is causing the problem, it's pretty easy to diagnose it, though somewhat more time-consuming to fix. Open a private or incognito window, then open a Facebook tab and login, and then visit Daily Kos. Pick a story to share and click the blue F button. If the share button works in this context, then you have confirmed that an extension is blocking the share feature in the non-private mode. (The private mode turns off most, though not all, extensions.) You'll then need to go through a trial and error process to figure out which extension it is, and then you can decide if you want to disable it for Daily Kos. Many extensions do allow you to choose to exempt certain websites from applying it.

In any case, you may still share posts via copy&paste to your own timeline as Eyesbright explains, though that's not as convenient as using the share button.

Thanks for your support of the site.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2020 04:12 PM.

5. Kathy Omaits re-opened this discussion on 17 Mar, 2020 11:35 PM

6. 4 Posted by Kathy Omaits (u... on 17 Mar, 2020 11:35 PM

Thank you.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 Mar, 2020 05:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac