How Can I Change My Nickname?

bmerchant

14 Mar, 2020 05:47 AM

How can I change my nickname, the name that is displayed with my comments and diaries and blog posts?
Otherwise, How can I delete my Kos account and create a new one?

1. 1 Posted by siab on 14 Mar, 2020 08:22 AM

Generally, you will not be able to change your username, but you can simiply begin a new account under a new name and email address, and simply not use the prior account ever again. If you do, you can cross-reference the accounts within the Profiles, or not, as you prefer.

It's considered polite to inform the Help Desk that you've made the change, simply so they know about it in case another user connects the two and questions whether the second account might be a problem.

I'm not staff, just another user, but since it's the weekend I thought I'd jump in with an answer.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 Mar, 2020 04:10 PM

Thanks for asking.

The information that siab supplied is basically correct. You are free to stop using your original account and create a new one to use exclusively going forward.

The only major difference between the information supplied and our official practice is that it is not necessary for you to report back to us the new name you're using. The only way it would be relevant to us would be if you did continue to use the old account along with the new one. That practice, known as "sockpuppeting," is prohibited.

Thanks for your support of the site.

3. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 16 Mar, 2020 04:10 PM.

4. bmerchant re-opened this discussion on 17 Mar, 2020 08:09 PM

5. 3 Posted by bmerchant on 17 Mar, 2020 08:09 PM

Thanks, but it would be nice to be able to change the nickname that is displayed, since I did not know that it would be the display name. But I guess I understand.

Be friendly with everybody, especially those that don’t deserve it. #smileandwave

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Mar, 2020 10:05 PM

I am sorry, it does catch people unawares sometimes. Our resource explaining the process does note that the username is displayed on every comment, but it's not called out specifically on the sign-up form.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2020 10:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac