i don't like this tag but i don't like the idea of replacing it either: MikeFuckingBloomberg

aoeu

15 Feb, 2020 02:15 AM

https://www.dailykos.com/news/MikeFuckingBloomberg

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2/14/1919199/-I-Will-Never-Vo...

It was used as a singleton so simply forbidding it leaves the diary without any tags. OTOH it isn't a tag any one has been using.

We need a safe tag that is not Tag vandalism for cases like this one.

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 15 Feb, 2020 10:29 PM

Why couldn't you, as Caretaker of the Tags, delete that one and add the proper name? Seems like a perfectly legitimate action for you, especially.

2. 2 Posted by aoeu on 16 Feb, 2020 12:40 AM

This is something any Trusted User should be able to do.

OffensiveTagReplaced

might be a good choice if admins approve.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 16 Feb, 2020 01:38 AM

OK, I just did that.

- Update #1 (info added this way because the mod closed the ticket):
    Per instructions, I put the tag back to the way it was originally. However, I highly suspect that a search for tag "MikeBloomberg" will not bring up the tag "MikeFuckingBloomberg."
    I'll test that and update later.

- Update #2:
    Just as I expected, even though the search parameter says "tag contains," a search for tag "MikeBloomberg" does not find the tag "MikeFuckingBloomberg."
    My point is simply that the tag "Mike Bloomberg" should remain on the diary (as opposed to putting the tag(s) back to the original of ONLY "MikeFuckingBloomberg").
    https://www.dailykos.com/search?status=&species=&search_type=search_tags&text_expand=contains&text_type=tag_compare&text=MikeBloomberg&time_type=time_last_story&time_begin=Start+Date&time_end=End+Date&count_min=%28min%29&count_max=%28max%29&submit=Search

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Feb, 2020 10:33 PM

Hi there.

Thank you both for raising this topic. It's worth consideration for sure.

At the risk of sounding more flippant than the subject merits, though: What is the site coming to if we don’t permit fuck in the middle of a tag?

More seriously, we can appreciate your concern, and we are grateful for your vigilance as community mods and tag librarians. But there’s no need to sanitize this particular tag in this way. Please replace the original one and remove the substitute.

If you are in the mood for some laughs over the use of fuck within DK tags, do a search on the word. It’s surprisingly entertaining, well beyond the usual suspects.

Finally: it is not impossible to imagine a circumstance where we may well want to remove a tag for offensiveness. But based on what's already in the Tag Library, however, this one does not rise to that level.

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 17 Feb, 2020 10:33 PM.

6. aoeu re-opened this discussion on 19 Feb, 2020 02:24 PM

7. 5 Posted by aoeu on 19 Feb, 2020 02:24 PM

Has the policy against editorializing in tags been lifted?

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 19 Feb, 2020 04:46 PM

In view of the wide array of tags already in our library, it would be hard to claim we’ve ever seriously attempted to enforce such a policy.

There’s no reason that this tag should be linked to the main MikeBloomberg tag, and that seems an appropriate judgment for site admins to make (that is, to avoid making that connection). But it’s easy to find several instances of mainstream Democrats whose tags include some variant of fuck. To exclude it in Bloomberg’s case would be editorializing as well, and not in a constructive direction.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 19 Feb, 2020 04:46 PM.

10. aoeu re-opened this discussion on 19 Feb, 2020 06:11 PM

11. 7 Posted by aoeu on 19 Feb, 2020 06:11 PM

Take my name off the tag editor list.

12. 8 Posted by aoeu on 20 Feb, 2020 11:32 PM

To be clear. If tags are allowed to be editorial in nature all my work making the really ugly ones look good was wasted.

I didn't get paid to get rid of every fuck. I got rid of them when I spotted them in use.

Will you be editing the FAQ? This is a big change and you did not even bother advising the only person who actually cared.

13. 9 Posted by mettle fatigue on 13 Mar, 2020 09:41 AM

Posting in support of aoeu.

While I recognize the right of splenetic kosaks to indulge in adolescent, vulgar hate-speech, intra-site tags represent the only index to topics that exists here. MikeFuckingBloomberg is an epithet, not a topic, and while it may make sense for twitter, it serves no actual function here. There is no such page in wikipedia, as a fairly democratic model of how to tag.

Any diarist who feels compelled to resort to epithets in the taglist after already having virtually unlimited diary space in which to make his/her case is merely swaggering for the destructive failure-of-impulse-control fun of it.

MikeBloomberg ought to be MichaelBloomberg, as well; and if failure of the site to enforce its policies ---via failure to afford the salaries of an adequate cadre of professional librarians trained in classification and cataloguing--- is going to be transmuted into some kind of principle of free speech, then a reasonable compromise is to leave the fucking tag as it is and simply add MichaelBloomberg, providing the tag librarian who's done all the heavy lifting concurs.

This site owes a tremendous debt to aoeu and that debt out to be paid in the form of respect for aoeu's final judgement following discussion of whatever tag issue there may be. It IS constructive to maintain a tagging policy that assures as complete access to the information represented by tags and informationally networked by tags as is possible for management to do, even if management is incapable of enforcement of that policy.

Thank you for the opportunity to chime in. As another information science professional, I do what repairs I can where tags are concerned, if principally to add appropriate tags to diaries of significance that are inadequatedly tagged at the outset. I don't always agree with aoeu's judgements but I am willing to cooperate with them, and it's going to be a severe loss to this site if aoeu is really not going to continue.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac