Does Daily Kos endorse candidates or just allow the purchasing of political ads?

Amherstbee

05 Nov, 2019 02:44 AM

Hello,
I recently received a donation request from Theresa Greenfield of Iowa via your site. Before reading the fine print it appeared that Daily Kos was endorsing and recommending Ms. Greenfield as the Senate contender against Joni Ernst. It surprised me as the primary has not even been conducted yet- perhaps some voters will think she has already gotten the nomination and will donate assuming she is already the official Democratic candidate. As a supporter of Ret. Adm. Michael Franken, whom I believe is eminently more qualified and experienced, and who poses a much more substantial threat to the renomination of Joni Ernst, it is alarming to me that some Iowans might believe the nomination is "locked up" and will not further research or donate to other equal or superior candidates such as Adm Franken. Perhaps your site can make it much more obvious that political ads are NOT an endorsement by you- as some people may reflexively donate to that candidate, believing there is no other choice. Perhaps in larger red letters you might print- "THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN ENDORSEMENT BY DAILY KOS". Otherwise, it feels vaguely deceiving.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 05 Nov, 2019 10:01 PM

Hello, and thanks for your questions.

Yes, Daily Kos does endorse candidates in certain races. Our endorsement policy is available through this link: https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/kb/information-about-candidates-campa...

As long as we have not made an endorsement, however, we do run ads for Democrats in competitive primaries. And, if we start refusing some copy in those races, then it would be as if we had endorsed.

To differentiate between paid emails and advertisements, we've implemented multiple disclaimers through the ads, emails, and landing pages to clearly indicate it is "paid for by…" and if it is not an endorsed candidate, it will include "Does not equal endorsement." When a reader signs a form, the disclaimer includes language that allows both Daily Kos and client to contact the signers in the future.

It'll be a very key race to be sure, and once the books are closed on today's elections no doubt much more attention will be given to all the other races of note for 2020.

Thanks for your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 05 Nov, 2019 10:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac