Diaries

Agathena

14 Feb, 2012 06:04 PM

Is there a specific rule that a person posting a diary must participate in the comment section?
When did the phrase "hit and run diary" come into being?

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by aoeu on 14 Feb, 2012 06:36 PM

It isn't a rule but it is the norm, particularly for those who are not famous outside DKos.

Peace?
    aoeu

2. 2 Posted by FrugalGranny on 14 Feb, 2012 06:51 PM

What aoeu says is correct. Not participating in your own diary would be like throwing a party and then abandoning your guests as soon as they arrive. If you did that more than once, people would quit coming to your party. It's the same here. If you don't participate, then people will stop reading your diaries. It's not against the rules, but it's considered to be a bit rude.

3. 3 Posted by OLinda on 14 Feb, 2012 07:06 PM

I call them drive by diaries, not hit and run, and I frown on them.

Sometimes i won't rec a diary if the diarist is not participating. It's not a fast rule of mine, but it often comes in to play. To me the purpose of a diary is to start a discussion. Maybe sometimes is it only to offer information, but the diarist should still interact with the Kossacks who take the time to read and comment.

Automatic tip jars came into being for that reason. People would post rude or spam diaries and then not post a tip jar or comment. The autotip jar at least allows the diarist to be hide rated or tipped.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by elfling on 14 Feb, 2012 10:49 PM

It's not a rule, but the community really appreciates giving feedback to diarists and knowing it was read. The discussion after the diary is important.

When the diarist never comments, commenters feel like they were spitting into the wind and wasting their time, and that the diarist isn't interested in any discussion or any views other than their own.

5. 5 Posted by Agathena on 14 Feb, 2012 11:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. So, it's not a rule, therefore a person not wishing to comment or unable to do so, should not be scolded and told to "go away."

I do agree that it's the polite thing to do but I can understand a writer's opting out of commenting.

"When the diarist never comments, commenters feel like they were spitting into the wind and wasting their time, and that the diarist isn't interested in any discussion or any views other than their own."

I don't agree with the above because most posters comment with each other. Some interesting discussions take place among the commenters without the diarist. Some excellent discussions take place in the comments of very poor diaries too.

Most people "well-known outside of DKos" do not comment or respond very little and that's okay. If someone posts some information aware that it might elicit dismissive comments, I think they have a right to avoid the comment section.

Thanks again.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by elfling on 15 Feb, 2012 12:26 AM

I think people will complain less if the diary feels heartfelt and genuine, and more if the diary feels like a press release or a prescription to the readers. The difference being a sense of, is this diarist doing things "to us" or "with us".

Diarist comments don't have to be extensive to be appreciated. Even just one reply, or one comment that gives the sense that the comments were read can go a long way.

Comments are also a great way to add a "PS" to a diary, a little thought that goes with the diary but interrupts the flow of the main essay.

7. 7 Posted by Stephanie Kopf on 15 Feb, 2012 09:33 AM

Hello, I've definitely waited a week after creating my account, but I still am not authorized to make diary post. Does anyone have a helpful suggestion? Thank you.

8. 8 Posted by OLinda on 15 Feb, 2012 01:58 PM

It's 7 days today, Stephanie. Maybe it is not timed down to the hour. I would give it awhile longer today. It should kick in.

9. 9 Posted by Stephanie Kopf on 15 Feb, 2012 02:09 PM

Hello, and thank you so much for your reply! Yes I realize it may take some
    time and that you probably get a lot of messages like these, so thanks again
    for your support!
    I have already commented on some posts and made two of my own. Dailykos is
    wonderful!

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
    Von: OLinda
    [mailto:[email blocked]]
    Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2012 14:59
    An: [email blocked]
    Betreff: Re: Diaries [Questions]

10. 10 Posted by lineatus on 15 Feb, 2012 09:21 PM

Following up on elfling's response - you can always rec comments to let people know you've read them and appreciate them taking the time to participate in your diary, even if you don't have something to say.

As for thing about most commenters interacting with each other, that becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If diarists don't comment, then the discussion goes on without them. The other thing that happens is that it dies on the vine - by commenting in your diary, you can help stir up interest and participation.

As others have noted, your responsiveness makes it more likely that people will read your future work.

Oh, and last but not least - nothing is more frustrating than seeing an easily corrected error, and not being able to get the diarist's attention so they can fix it.

11. 11 Posted by Agathena on 15 Feb, 2012 11:25 PM

lineatus,
    That's a great idea, if the diarist wants to refrain from commenting.

Of course i agree with all the benefits of the writer's interaction and still think it's a good idea to keep responses from the diarist optional. For example, if I write a report on DKos about the firearms deaths stats and the need for gun control in the USA, I know that the diary will be immediately dismissed, frowned upon, insulted. I consider the issue and the information important enough to publish but I would rather keep out of the same old arguments put forward by the gun group. I don't intend to publish such a diary, not now anyway, but I think it is a good example of what I am getting at.

Another example, good diaries by well-known writers, likely corss-posted by their staff. The content can be very worthwhile but the writers are just too busy to comment much if at all. example Tom Englehardt.

12. 12 Posted by Wee Mama on 16 Feb, 2012 01:11 AM

Given how common author interaction is, adding a brief explanation why you're not interacting can also defuse some people's frustration.

13. System closed this discussion on 12 Dec, 2016 09:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac