getting emails in response to comments

Tarby

19 Oct, 2019 07:50 PM

I've done something wrong!
When I made a comment in the past, all the responses in the thread would come to my inbox, whether or not they were directed to me. Now I get nothing. I know I did this to myself, as in my profile it says comments hidden. I think it was because I ticked that, thinking it meant I would see "hidden" comments - now I can't find out how to undo it.
Now I don't even know how I will see an answer to this - but I hope someone can help.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 21 Oct, 2019 08:32 PM

Hi Tarby and thanks for asking for help.

There are two different comment settings involved here. The one regarding "hidden comments" refers to whether you see them or not, and under what conditions. (The option exists via the Edit Profile page to display all hidden comments until you yourself also throw a flag on them.) You can change that comment setting on your Edit Profile page OR under the Comment Settings link at the top of every comment section. Click on the light gray Comment Settings link and you'll then see the option to show hidden comments. If you check that box, they'll always be displayed.

But the request to get notification of replies to your comments is another matter altogether. That option may be turned on and off in every comment box you use. However, at this point we have a bug to fix with that feature--and I have confirmed that your notifications are being blocked because of that bug. Soon, you'll be able to check that box and get email notifications again. But for the time being, instead you'll have to look for the little orange dot associated with the "comment bubble" at the top of the page when you are logged in--which will be present when you have new comment replies within the past two days.

Sorry you've encountered this bug, but thanks for asking about it so I could explain that you're not at fault. We appreciate your support of the mission of the site.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 21 Oct, 2019 08:32 PM.

3. Tarby re-opened this discussion on 22 Oct, 2019 06:38 PM

4. 2 Posted by Tarby on 22 Oct, 2019 06:38 PM

Oh, thank you so much for the explanation. I thought I was in “Coventry” for something, and feeling isolated. Glad to know I haven’t done anything wrong (at least this time. ; D )
    I’ll look out for the orange dot in the meantime. Hope you get de-bugged soon!

Regards,
    Tarby

5. 3 Posted by Tarby on 22 Oct, 2019 06:56 PM

Help, again!
    I found the orange dot, I responded to a comment. Now I find I cannot recc OR comment. Hope you can fix this soon…
    Rgds,
    Tarby

6. 4 Posted by Tarby on 22 Oct, 2019 07:10 PM

I lied! I can recc & comment now.
    Sorry if it was a false alarm

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Oct, 2019 07:14 PM

OK cool. No worries.
    Remember that there is a 24-hour limit on recommending comments (except for Tip Jars, where it is possible to rec for 7 days).

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 Oct, 2019 07:14 PM.

9. Tarby re-opened this discussion on 22 Oct, 2019 07:21 PM

10. 6 Posted by Tarby on 22 Oct, 2019 07:21 PM

That may be the problem. The time difference may not help either, haha

11. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Oct, 2019 11:37 PM

Gotcha. Thanks for understanding.

12. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 11:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac