Right margin lists interfering with comments

OceanDiver

14 Oct, 2019 06:10 PM

I noted the addition of the Rec & shared lists on every page at the site now, even when a diary is opened for reading and commenting. The problem with this has been the narrowing of the space for comments, with the effect that after a few indentations, comments are only a couple of words per line, and you can’t see who is replying to whom. Is there a good reason for this change, that’s worth the mess in reading/writing comments?

I'm seeing this at both my IOS and OS devices.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 15 Oct, 2019 06:34 PM

Hmmm. That's concerning.
    Thanks for supplying the screenshot. Now we have to be able to replicate it. What is your setup, exactly (device and iOS version)? Or I should say, plural.
    Any other details you can provide about your display would also be helpful--for example, screen orientation, window width and text size, etc.

2. 2 Posted by OceanDiver on 16 Oct, 2019 05:47 PM

Thanks for checking into this.

The screenshot above is from my iPad.

iPad 4th gen. pro (10.5”).
    IOS 13.1.2.
    Current version of Safari.
    I use landscape orientation, text size medium.

The narrowing of the column of text and comments when indented is considerably more of a problem on the iPad. On the iMac, names to/from in comments are fully there, and # words per line is more. Since I use my iPad for 95% of my DK reading, composing diaries and commenting, that’s really the focus of my concern.

iMac info:
    27”, late 2009
    Mac OS 10.12.6 Sierra
    Safari 12.0.3

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Oct, 2019 02:06 AM

Thanks for the additional information. Hope to have it at the top of my to-do list tomorrow.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 24 Oct, 2019 05:05 PM

OK, sorry for my delay in getting back to you.
    I haven't seen what you see, but I'm not entirely sure that I have all the information to make it happen for me. Couple of follow-up questions.
    1) I do see that you're on the old-style comments. I realize the new ones aren't yet optimal. But--do you see the issue persist with them? I think if it does NOT appear with them then we have part of the answer right there. (Better to fix the overall issues with new comments, because we simply won't do anything that addresses only the old-style ones.)
    2) If it is with the new comments also, is this single-comment page view or on every variety of story and comment page?
    In case you forgot the cookie to set: add comments_beta/true to the end of the site URL.
    Thanks!

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2019 05:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac