Daily Kos petitions

Hunter Lucke (unverified)

19 Aug, 2019 03:05 PM

I see lots of requests to sign this or that petition but never any information about what happens to/with the petition. What do you do with petitions? Who do you present them to? How do I know any useful purpose will be served? Presumably members of Congress are only influenced by petitions from their constituents, do you separate signers by congressional district or state? My suspicion is that you present these petitions too keep your readers riled up and don't do anything constructive with them.
   Hunter Lucke

1. 1 Posted by Jeffrey (unveri... on 19 Aug, 2019 11:56 PM

I love DailyKos, but I have the same question. What is becoming of the petitions? And just so you know, I have stopped signing ANY petitions since I it appears that is how my email box has gotten overloaded with campaigners whom I do not actually support. I do not unsubscribe them, because I am afraid of unsubscribing what I DO want from DailyKos. Any help on this issue would be appreciated--and I might even sign a few petitions!
    Sincerely,
    Jeff

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Moderator1 on 20 Aug, 2019 10:02 PM

Thanks for asking about petition language. Here is some information we hope you find relevant.

There is no hidden language in a petition; what you see is what we ask you to endorse by signing--UNLESS we provide the space for you to draft your own message to your elected official(s). Sometimes, in those cases, we offer a template which you can sign and send without revision or addition, but often we leave that text window blank so that you are the sole author of what is sent via that petition.

When you see a petition directed toward a specific elected official, that's the intended recipient. If you see that we have misidentified your representative/senator, we would like to know; our system is not perfect.

Other times, as you may have noticed, a petition is simply an endorsement of a statement on a particular issue. We leave it up to you to decide, every time, whether a petition meets your standards for signing.

It is also the case that every petition will state (in small print): "By signing this petition you will receive periodic updates on offers and activism opportunities from Daily Kos. You may unsubscribe at any time." Links to our privacy policy and our terms are also provided.

We have no expectation or requirement of anyone to sign or take other action on everything that we send to you. We appreciate your support of the mission of the site in every form you may offer it.

3. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 20 Aug, 2019 10:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac