Planned Parenthood ads/subscribers

Timaeus

04 Feb, 2012 09:24 PM

I recently bought a lifetime subscription for $100. This is supposed to have the one benefit of turning off ads. But today I have a floating ad for Planned Parenthood, which is persistent on the home page.

I support Planned Parenthood, but I don't like the ad in my face all day.

What's up with that? I hope this isn't a harbinger of many other ads that are claimed not to be ads.

1. 1 Posted by OLinda on 04 Feb, 2012 10:13 PM

I've been trying to figure out why I don't see the ribbon, Timaeus. It finally occurred to me that I clicked on it the other day and signed. Looks like they've fixed it to quit bugging you if you respond to it. So, there is one answer for you... a way to get rid of it. Sign! :)

(I am also a subscriber, so there is still that point, that we did see an ad. But, it probably is classified as a Daily Kos Campaign, not a paid ad. As a DK member, I'm interested in the DK Campaigns so it didn't bother me. Maybe there should be a way to click "not interested" one time and make it go away if a person doesn't want to sign.)

2. 2 Posted by OLinda on 04 Feb, 2012 10:29 PM

Further reflection. I clicked on a ribbon and sent an email to the Komen Foundation. You may be talking about something else. I don't see the Planned Parenthood ad which is probably fundraising?

3. 3 Posted by aoeu on 04 Feb, 2012 10:46 PM

Timaeus, That is an action item rather than an ad. Adblock works for in

4. 4 Posted by OLinda on 04 Feb, 2012 10:56 PM

I see a diary about the ribbon this morning, so it looks like it is the ribbon after all, the one I clicked.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by elfling on 05 Feb, 2012 08:31 PM

Clicking it should make it go away whether you sign the petition or not. There is the option of 'close' that will make it go away without even taking you to the petition.

6. 6 Posted by Timaeus on 06 Feb, 2012 01:24 AM

I have some doubts that "action items" like this are not actually "ads." But it's not a big deal to me unless it starts happening very frequently.

I did finally figure how to see and click the "close" option on that popup ad/action item, but it darn sure took me a long time. My eyesight is declining, and I have a hard time seeing certain contrasts.

But all in all, no big deal. Thanks for responding.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by elfling on 06 Feb, 2012 05:28 AM

I'll certainly let the team know about the complaints. This one was slightly less annoying than the previous one, so we are converging on a solution. :-)

8. Timaeus closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2012 10:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac