missing images

Pariah Dog

01 Jul, 2019 02:07 PM

Over the last couple weeks I've been noticing some diaries where some of the images aren't showing. All I see is one of those little squares with the torn document picture inside. Or where there's obviously supposed to be something, all I see is a huge blank space.

Most recent example is annieli's diary today :https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/6/30/1868605/-trophy-daughter-Ivanka-as-humanizing-prop-at-G20-because-diplomacy-needs-its-spokesmodels?utm_campaign=trending

The header image is there, then there's a missing image icon - with a caption, another icon, several twitter quotes, a video, another twitter quote, another missing image icon, an actual image, another icon, twitter quote, another icon, couple twitter quotes.

Another weirdity. If I right click that little icon and click "view image" it opens up. Here's the addy of the first one https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-Wce2UVAAAMti_.png:large

Every one of the missing images has that sort of address that includes " pbs.twimg.com" in the address bar. This suggests these are images from off site rather than from the Kos image library, and the image is more a link to something posted on twitter from PBS. I haven't checked this in any of the other diaries where I've seen it. I've always had problems with strange symbols appearing in those twitter quotes, but I understand that's caused by something in my OS or browser. It doesn't bother me that much because if I wanted to know what's being said on twitter I'd read twitter.

This isn't constant, and it's not even common, just now and then and seemingly random. Is anyone else experiencing this besides me?

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 01 Jul, 2019 09:31 PM

I have exactly the same problem and I've noticed it most often on posts from Annielli. It's been happening for several months.

2. 2 Posted by siab on 03 Jul, 2019 02:16 AM

Generally it's a load failure; if it's a big diary, or there are a lot of images, your browser can time out before the loading process finishes. I'm noticing it more with Firefox's expanded cache, especially if your device isn't memory-heavy.

I've found that clearing out my cache (not cookies and such, but simply site data) makes a difference in whether I get that kind of loading failure. When the cache is full, the read/write process takes longer because there are decisions as to which data to erase to make room for the new download.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 03 Jul, 2019 02:35 AM

FYI: I have 24 GB of RAM and I completely purge my cache every night without fail.
    As I mentioned, it's nearly always images from Annielli - and it's been happening for several months, including today. Here's an example:
    https://www.dailykos.com/comments/1868605/74289692#comment_74289692
    If I right click on it, I can often (though not always) view the image - but it never displays in the normal way the way other images do.

4. 4 Posted by siab on 03 Jul, 2019 09:15 AM

Huh. For me, that loads with no problem (latest Firefox on windows 8.1)

Which means it's two different problems. Wunnerful.

5. 5 Posted by Pariah Dog on 03 Jul, 2019 01:30 PM

siab, I don't seem to have any problems with image heavy diaries, so I don't think it's that. Don't know what my RAM is because I've never had a reason to check, lol.

Somehow though I never tried opened these diaries in another browser. I have IE on here but it's murderously sloooowww. I only keep it for opening images and documents I've downloaded to save. It's a nostalgia thing I guess.

But just for grins, I just now opened the diary link I included in IE. After IE was finally locked and loaded, all the images displayed!

So it may be something in Firefox - which used to be a much better browser before they started improving it "for your protection."

Then too, I think Eyesbright might be on to something. Now that you mention it, I've seen images missing in comments too. And yeah - those comments are usually Annielli's. This happens so infrequently I never paid attention to the author of the diaries until the other day. Now I'll take note because it might be something she's doing... or the way she's doing it. She's probably not even aware of it.

Thanks for the input. It's NBD really, I've just never seen it until recently and thought it was strange because it seemed so random. Now I know it's not (solely) my browser or something wrong with my settings, (can't even blame it on DKos though dammit), I'll just roll with it unless I have a burning need to see the MIA. Then I'll do the right click thing.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac