how to post a quote within a quote -- the answer

Nova Land

01 May, 2019 03:11 AM

There was a question asked yesterday about how to post a quote within a quote. I didn't have time to post the answer to that question yesterday, and I see now the discussion has been closed, so I'm starting a new thread. Because there really is a very simple way to do this, which works both in comments and in diary drafts, and no one posting in the now-closed thread (including Daily Kos Staff) seemed to be aware of it.

All right, let's say you want to post a quote within a quote in a way that makes it clear the interior quote is distinct from the surrounding quote.

• Step 1, type the whole thing out.
  • Step 2, enclose the whole thing in a quote block.
  • Step 3, the key part -- go to the beginning of the quote within a quote and press the tab key on your keyboard. That part will now be indented and have a vertical orange line on its left side to indicate it's a quote within a quote.

That's all there is to it. Simple and easy!

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 01 May, 2019 03:40 AM

You're a peach for taking your time and effort to post this, Nova Land!

2. 2 Posted by Nova Land on 01 May, 2019 03:47 PM

Thank you for saying so. I very much appreciate the many helpful responses you and siab post in these help desk threads to help answer questions people have and help people fix problems they're having, so I was glad for a chance to do a little of that too.

3. 3 Posted by siab on 01 May, 2019 05:50 PM

Thanks!

Talk about counter-intuitive, though... if there's one thing it was hardest to learn about HTML on DK, it was never to press the Tab key while I was trying to compose something, because it would jump me out of the current text area.

Gonna have to practice this one.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 May, 2019 04:18 PM

Oh yes, now that you mention it this does ring a bell! But it would not have surfaced without your reminder. Thank you, Nova Land.

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 02 May, 2019 04:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac