About Fair Use

WB Reeves

29 Apr, 2019 09:54 PM

Hi, I have a question regarding fair use. The rules of the road refer two quoting three paragraphs. I assume that means full paragraphs by the author in question. Is that right ? For example, if I reproduced quotes cited by the author, would each of them count as a separate paragraph even though there were not the author's words? Likewise, if I presented excerpts that were not the entire original paragraphs, would they nevertheless, count as full paragraphs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 Apr, 2019 03:34 PM

Thanks for asking.
    The spirit behind this portion of the Rules of the Road is to encourage posters here at the site to be respectful of the original authors' work and copyright interests. It's not as much a hard-and-fast word count as it is a guideline. The "three paragraphs" measure is intended to get users here to choose their excerpts with care. Does your excerpt represent fairly the tenor of the whole piece? Does provide a teaser, in effect, sampling just enough of the original piece to motivate the reader here to check out the original source? That's what we seek to support.
    In response to your specific questions, to the first I would say that any material taken from the original source, regardless of any other sourcing happening there, does count toward the overall limit. The author you're quoting now has used that material to make a point, so it has become part of their argument. To the second, that's going to be less rigid. Paragraphs vary in length anyway depending on the genre of writing. Consider the original source in context and aim for a concise but fair portion from it to use in your own post.
    Hope that helps.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 30 Apr, 2019 03:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac