quotations

maggiejean

29 Apr, 2019 04:07 PM

How to put a quote within a quote. I did it once by stumbling around but have been unable to reproduce what I did.

1. 1 Posted by FosterMomInCA on 29 Apr, 2019 08:25 PM

I’m not sure whether this is what you’re looking for, but as you’re typing a comment, you use the “ on the tool bar to get the quote box. While you’re typing your quote, if you click on the down arrow at the right end of the tool bar, you’ll open the second row of tools. Then, I think third from the right of the bottom row of tools, you’ll see an icon that consists of two or three lines, a dark line in the middle, then two or three more lines. Click on that, and you’ll get a second, embedded, quote box, I think.

Hope this works for you.

2. 2 Posted by maggiejean on 29 Apr, 2019 08:36 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a try, although isn't that what you use to make lines?

3. 3 Posted by FosterMomInCA on 29 Apr, 2019 08:46 PM

I think the “line through” lettering is done by a different tool on that same second line. I’m certainly not an expert, though. Maybe you could give it a try while you’re waiting for a staff member to respond.

4. 4 Posted by siab on 30 Apr, 2019 04:41 PM

You can put a PRE (monospaced font box, 2nd line of icons) box within a quotes box; that may be good enough. You can also define a single-cell Table within the initial box and use that.

There's also a technique that puts an indented text within the box, with a line down the left side, but I don't know how that's accomplished. Best of luck.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 Apr, 2019 07:45 PM

Interesting question, thanks for raising it.

The suggestions that siab makes come closest to being simple and universal solutions: using the PRE tool as a first choice for the quote-within-a-quote, or as a secondary option creating a one-cell table (though I don't think you can eliminate all the built-in formatting) within the blockquote box.

The icon on the toolbar with all the lines adds a horizontal hairline any place you click on it, including within the blockquote box. But it does not cause any indentation or any change in the appearance of the text; it abides by the margins set by its location (inside or out of a blockquote box).

Hope this helps.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 30 Apr, 2019 07:45 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac