Collaborative Diary Posting

rhutcheson

01 Feb, 2012 08:45 PM

Another Kossack and I want to jointly author a diary regarding a chess game he and I had, with each of us making comments as we follow the game.

Is there a way that we can jointly author and edit a diary?

1. 1 Posted by aoeu on 01 Feb, 2012 09:37 PM

One of you forms a group and invites the other to join. Then the junior member can write a diary and the other can edit it. If the second member is made a blogeditor then it can work the other way too.

2. 2 Posted by rhutcheson on 01 Feb, 2012 10:47 PM

Thanks. We'll try that.

3. 3 Posted by GreyHawk on 02 Feb, 2012 02:06 PM

Important subtlety: the person who creates the diary has to post it to the GROUP, not to their own personal blog, for other blogeditors @ the group to be able to edit it & collaborate, as I understand it.

4. 4 Posted by GreyHawk on 02 Feb, 2012 02:11 PM

A little more info: collaborating is possible by creating a shell diary, then posting it to a group queue w/o publishing it - enabling anyone with queue editing privileges to comment, tweak, add, edit etc.

5. 5 Posted by aoeu on 02 Feb, 2012 02:43 PM

Right you are, GreyHawk

6. 6 Posted by GreyHawk on 02 Feb, 2012 03:01 PM

Thanks, aoeu. Posting a diary first to one's own queue then to the group doesn't work - it only works when the diary is saved directly to a Group queue. When the diary is published, it still also shows up on the user's own personal blog, but the only way to have other group members edit it is to ensure that it's submitted to the Group queue first.

I verified that by testing it out with some friends on NAN, so we could be sure we had it straight. It'll come in handy for a lot of groups - like Citizen Journalism, or any group doing collaborative work by nature.

7. 7 Posted by aoeu on 02 Feb, 2012 03:16 PM

At GUS we did some testing:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/02/15/944844/-GUS:-GUSsack-Group...

and then decided we did not need to use any of the group functions so I am a bit rusty.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by elfling on 02 Feb, 2012 06:21 PM

Right, you have to queue it to the group before publishing to get the joint editing feature. Otherwise, anyone would be able to grab someone else's diary and start editing it, which seems, um, bad. :-)

9. 9 Posted by aoeu on 02 Feb, 2012 07:43 PM

elfling, unless that's been changed FrugalGranny and I proved other wise in the diary I cited above. All the edits were post publication.

10. 10 Posted by GreyHawk on 02 Feb, 2012 08:27 PM

It can be edited after publication, too, by blog editors - from our testing @ NAN, we also demonstrated that.

It definitely has to be queued to the Group prior to publishing, tho. (I believe you also verified that in the diary you linked, as well as the one ~it~ linked to.)

:)

11. 11 Posted by rhutcheson on 02 Feb, 2012 11:33 PM

I'm trying out the process now. Will let everyone know how it goes.

12. 12 Posted by aoeu on 03 Feb, 2012 12:17 AM

The upshot of our experiments at GUS was that if you wanted GUS group chrome you needed to have faith in the editors because you had no actual control of content. It was in your name no matter what it said or who wrote it. When I see groups with dozens of editors I just cringe.

13. 13 Posted by rhutcheson on 08 Feb, 2012 06:57 PM

Seems to have worked well. Thanks for the help.

14. rhutcheson closed this discussion on 08 Feb, 2012 06:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac