Clarification on the No Advocacy for Third Parties or Third-Party Candidates rule

Arilca Mockingbird

13 Oct, 2018 10:33 PM

The Rules of the Road has three ideological prohibitions. One of which is "Advocacy for third parties or third-party candidates".

Can I get some clarification or what it means to advocate for third parties, specifically in two areas? Is mentioning one's past voting record itself considered to be advocating? Is disagreeing with or defending a third party against attacks (particularly factually challenged attacks) considered to be advocacy?

Most of the time this rule is clear cut. Something like "I urge everyone to vote for the Green Party" is clearly advocacy but is the mere mention of past voting for something other that the Democrats considered advocacy?

Examples:
"I voted Green in the last election."
"I voted Green in the last election and I regret it."
"I voted Green in the last election and I make no apologies."
Or how about something like this, "I voted Green in the last election and could see myself doing so again".

In a recent diary about the Greens and elsewhere people responded to such comments with reminders about the No Advocacy rule and/or calls for banning.

My own opinion is that none of this counts as advocacy and that those objecting to such comments can be ignored but given that one could get banned over this issue I would like some clear direction from the site.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Moderator1 on 15 Oct, 2018 03:39 PM

The Rules of the Road are very clear. Merely discussing the existence or history of a third party is not grounds for banning, but advocating voting third party is. www.dailykos.com/rules-of-the-road

Please understand that we do not, except in the rarest of circumstances, publicly discuss the decisions we make, out of respect for users' privacy. Under the site's Terms of Service, which every user acknowledges when they sign up, we have a right to ban and block anyone from the site at our discretion, and will do so if their actions and/or behavior negatively impact the site or its community. https://www.dailykos.com/terms

Here are two other articles that may be of help in understanding our criteria:
    1) Rules of the Road: www.dailykos.com/rules-of-the-road
    2) Knowledge Base: About DK Bannings: https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/kb/other-problems/why-have-i-been-ban...

2. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 15 Oct, 2018 03:39 PM.

3. Arilca Mockingbird re-opened this discussion on 15 Oct, 2018 04:46 PM

4. 2 Posted by Arilca Mockingb... on 15 Oct, 2018 04:46 PM

Hello,
    Thanks for replying.

I've read both of the articles previously and the clarification that I am seeking is not there (not seeking answers regarding any specific users or comments which is why I used generic examples).

I'll rephrase my first and main question. Is commenting on one's past voting record that was not Democratic in and of itself considered advocacy?

If you can't answer question above can you tell me if the definition below is the accurate for your purposes?

Advocacy
    noun, plural ad·vo·ca·cies.
    the act of pleading for, supporting, or recommending; active espousal:
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/advocacy

Thanks.

5. 3 Posted by Arilca Mockingb... on 15 Oct, 2018 06:34 PM

I removed the links to comment examples in case that was the reason for turning the discussion private.

6. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 22 Oct, 2018 07:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac