Does an unpublished diary stick around indefinitely?

Franks Human

27 Aug, 2018 01:09 AM

May I clarify something? If I write a diary, save it, and then leave it there, can I hold it around indefinitely to publish? (Not to plan to publish at a later specified time, but to publish when I happen to feel it's the right time.)

Or does it disappear after some time?

And I assume I could save something and then work on it now and then before finally publishing?

And could I do this with multiple diaries? Or is there a limit? (For example, if I want to prepare 2-3 related diaries at once, even if I want to spread them out over a few days, I may want to be sure all three are ready and edited before publishing part one.)

1. 1 Posted by siab on 27 Aug, 2018 07:50 AM

They don't disappear; they can last however long you care to leave them as drafts, and I don't think there is any limit to how many you can put up.

However, there seems to be a limit as to how long they can be there until you publish them. There have been several reports of old drafts causing errors during publication. This does not mean you can't copy an old draft to a new diary and publish from there, but if one has been around for a few weeks or months, you might want to test publish before you count on it working properly. I have drafts from two and three years ago that I simply used as a place to note ideas I had, some from before DK5, and I shudder to think what would happen if I tried publishing them.

I doubt whether the preceding would matter if you were publishing within, say, a week's time after writing. Under normal circumstances, you should be okay to publish as you've described.

2. 2 Posted by Franks Human on 27 Aug, 2018 05:12 PM

Thank you. I don't think I'd want to keep things around too long. I just often spend a lot of time setting something up and by the time I finish it's 11PM. So if I can set something up so it's ready, I might be able to more quickly publish when I get home, for example. Thanks, I will test something.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Aug, 2018 12:04 AM

Quite so. Weeks or months in the queue as drafts shouldn't pose a problem. But once you start talking years, that is likely a different matter.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for the input, both of you.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 29 Aug, 2018 12:04 AM.

5. Franks Human re-opened this discussion on 29 Aug, 2018 12:18 AM

6. 4 Posted by Franks Human on 29 Aug, 2018 12:18 AM

Thank you.

Just one follow up question: Is there a limit to how many diaries in progress i can have?

Again, I don't plan to just have a diary proliferation party, but I may want to be preparing several and then write a new one, publish that one, continue to prepare several, etc., and I don't want to accidentally reach my limit and "lose" something.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 29 Aug, 2018 12:20 AM

No, no limit that I know of. Could be a dangerous thing for pack rats, I suppose.

8. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 29 Aug, 2018 12:20 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac