Search function

jumonvillejulie

21 Aug, 2018 02:19 AM

I don't understand why whenever I do a search for a specific article (making sure to use words from the title of the article so that it should show up), I never get any results back. This has happened every time I've attempted to do a search.

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 21 Aug, 2018 03:51 AM

How are you entering the search period? The search function here seems to only be able to handle one year of data at a time (example: 08/20/2017 - 08/20/2018). If you want to search for more than one year, you'll need to do it one year at a time (it's easy to just change the last digit of the years each time).

You mention using "words from the title." The Daily Kos search system is definitely not boolean and that's often frustrating because it seems to only be able to search for the first word you enter (using quotation marks doesn't work and will just display a "No Results" answer). That means you'll have better luck if you use the most important word from the title - and you may still get multiple results that you'll have to peruse separately.

I hope those bits of info will help.

FYI, I'm not the Help Desk, just a long-time user. Lots of us try to help when we can.

2. 2 Posted by jumonvillejulie on 21 Aug, 2018 06:02 AM

Thanks for the help. It seems to work if I only search using one word.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 21 Aug, 2018 06:59 PM

Excellent! Glad I could help!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Aug, 2018 06:24 PM

Thanks, Eyesbright, appreciate you helping a user out here.

Thanks for asking, jumonvillejulie. Search is very touchy, especially because it's based on our old software platform. We are nursing it along, hoping we can keep it going for a few more months as we gear up for 2018 election season (yes, it will get much more intense after Labor Day) so we can push forward the advances we're making on it once that crunch is passed.

We appreciate your support of the mission of the site.

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 Aug, 2018 06:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac