If I open a new account and permanently stop using my old account...

SninkyPoo

17 Aug, 2018 10:43 PM

can I first download my old diaries from my old account so I can re-use some of that content?

I've been blogging here as SninkyPoo for a few years now. I chose the name because it's a childhood nickname that makes me smile, but it's confusing (I get called StinkyPoo pretty often, which is understandable) and a little silly. I've also become much more serious about blogging about climate change, and climate change activism, since I joined this site, and it would be a smart professional step for me to start using my real name.

Any advice? Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by siab on 18 Aug, 2018 06:42 PM

As long as you do not actually use the original account once you have the new one, there is nothing at all to prevent you from re-using your material. Strictly speaking, it's in the public domain, in any case, once it's published, re the note in the page footer at the bottom of all diaries.

You can also, of course, note the link between accounts in both your new and old Profiles, to make it simpler for people to find your work

2. 2 Posted by bleeding blue on 21 Aug, 2018 08:18 PM

If you do start anew, be sure to let us know so that you remain part of our Seattle group.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 22 Aug, 2018 07:36 PM

Hello, SninkyPoo, and thanks for asking.

The reply that you received from siab is correct, and the comment from bleeding blue is encouraging.

We have no objection to you adopting a new username for whatever reason, as long as you do let the first one go permanently dormant. That's not to say it is forbidden for you to login to the old account and retrieve what you like from there -- though while I'm at it I should add that we'd strongly prefer you not to unpublish your original posts. Just that the old account and the new one should not overlap in terms of activity on the site.

It would be up to you whether to make the link between the two accounts obvious, but if you're willing to do so it could cut down on confusion.

Thanks for committing to write more about climate change and cc activism. Every day seems to bring more evidence of urgency in this matter.

And thanks also for your support of the mission of the site.

4. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 22 Aug, 2018 07:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac