How long do polls remain "active" for voters? And comments?

Franks Human

18 Jul, 2018 06:03 PM

So I've just begun to use polls, partly to experiment and learn how they work. So one thing I'm noticing is that my diary is still getting (a little) activity, but the poll is staying the same. (Which is fine, I'm not hurt. :) I'm just trying to understand.)

I published this Monday night at 11:37PM PT. It received votes while it was on the Recent Diaries list, as well as comments, and then it dropped off and stopped. Today my diary is still somewhat active (an additional recommend). Since I can't see if the poll is still active, I thought I'd ask.: Do the polls have a 24 hour limit (or some such) similar to comment recs, etc.?

(And while I'm at it, how long do comments remain active on a post? This particular post is for me to gather allies in research, and one other diarist may share a link to it later in the week in his diary to help me widen the net of my request. I'm trying to figure out how long people will still be able to comment. Even so, I've told people they can PM me if they have helpful expertise, so I think it'll still be fine.)

Thank you.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 18 Jul, 2018 06:35 PM

Hello, and thanks for your good questions.

Polls should remain open indefinitely, if I recall correctly.

Stories remain open to comments for only nine days, however. There are even shorter limits on the time to recommend (or flag) comments: 24 hours for an ordinary comment, and seven days for a Tip Jar. The story clock overrides the comment reply clock, however -- which means that a comment posted on day six, for example, will remain available to replies only for three more days.

Hope that helps!

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 06:35 PM.

3. Franks Human re-opened this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 06:44 PM

4. 2 Posted by Franks Human on 18 Jul, 2018 06:44 PM

Yes, thank you. This helps. My first poll-test on Saturday received a LOT more votes than the recs/comments would have indicated, 56 votes compared to about 7 recs and 12-16 comments or so, but all that happened within a day of posting. So here I was wondering if it was shut off so I could pretend to believe my poll was more interesting. :)

Thanks again.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 26 Jul, 2018 03:48 PM

You're welcome.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 26 Jul, 2018 03:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac