Time deadline for posting stories

openthinker1

17 Jul, 2018 03:12 AM

Just curious- I posted two blogs, and, when I went to post a third, it said I had reached the time deadline for posting new stories. Do you include a deadline- like a person can only post two blogs a day- to allow time to read blogs? I'm just curious.

1. 1 Posted by Eyesbright on 17 Jul, 2018 04:08 AM

First, vocabulary: Daily Kos is a blog. What you're writing is usually called a diary here ('though it can also be called an article).

Help Desk Admins can address the technical question (I think you've actually encountered a glitch that others have mentioned) but you need to know this: you will quickly irritate people here if you publish more than one diary/day. That's primarily because it pushes other diaries off the end of the Recent Diaries list.

You're very new here and have already published 5 diaries. Two of those were published tonight within 17 minutes of each other. The fact that you want to post yet a THIRD one tonight is troubling.

None of your diaries has received much in the way of attention and that should tell you that they're not particularly interesting or saying anything that hasn't already been said many times by others. I've read all five and each of them qualify as little more than repetitious, banal comments that probably should have been just that: comments, not diaries.

If you want to write a diary that's worth reading, do some research on breaking news or the finer points of something important that's of current interest. "Me, too" diaries are a dime a dozen and are too often nothing more than someone wanting to see their user name in print/on the screen.

One thing you have going for you is the fact that your writing is, in itself, decently grammatical so you're way ahead of a lot of people on that. Now that you (obviously) know how to publish a diary, do some real thinking and write something worth reading.

2. 2 Posted by openthinker1 on 17 Jul, 2018 04:12 AM

Thank you for your information! I think I'll use more of my diaries as comments instead.

3. 3 Posted by Eyesbright on 17 Jul, 2018 04:17 AM

Funny, I was just about to edit my answer to you to try to assure you that I didn't want to sound quite as insulting as it came off. I'm hoping you'll, instead, regard it as constructive criticism - and I'm quite serious in advising you to do research to come up with something interesting, etc.
    You do use good grammar! :-)

4. 4 Posted by openthinker1 on 17 Jul, 2018 04:37 AM

Thank you. I was almost ready to quit posting altogether. I guess a lot of my ideas are old news by the time I get ready to post them.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Jul, 2018 05:46 PM

Thanks for your inquiry, openthinker1.

Eyesbright did give you some helpful information, though to be sure it's a little difficult to find in the midst of all that negativity. Thanks for the quasi-apology, E, as well as for the pointers.

It's true that it can take a while for a new user to get accustomed to the unwritten expectations around posting to the site. Many folks do start with commenting, because that's generally a much easier way to become familiar with the community at large.

There are a number of Community posts to read and comment under, including the Cheers and Jeers posts M-Th morning and Friday evening; the Mid-day Open Thread, and Kitchen Table Kibitizing, which posts every evening -- just to name a few. Since they're open threads, nothing is off-topic, and the regulars tend to be friendly.

Once you do decide to venture into writing posts again, feel free to look at a few of the resources that can help you craft a more successful and well-received post. This is a pretty complete collection: https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/kb/general-tutorials

If you have additional questions, feel free to return here.

6. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2018 05:46 PM.

7. openthinker1 re-opened this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 05:30 PM

8. 6 Posted by openthinker1 on 18 Jul, 2018 05:31 PM

Thank you for the information- especially the open threads. It will be very helpful.

9. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 06:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac